Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of M/T ET Streets (28x11.5x15) used hoping that they will help out at the track and be better then the 275/40/17 nittos I was using. Anyone have any tips on using these tires?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If your using a 275/40 now, that tire may be to big and hurt you more than help. What is the motor/tranny/gear combo?

·
Registered
799 Posts
First of all, unless you were running out of gear with the 275/40/17's which are a hair under 26", plan to lose probably 2-3mph with the tall 28" tires. As for using them at the track, if you have never used a bias-ply (non-radial) tire before, you need to know that there may be a bit of sway at the top end of the track due to the soft sidewall flexing. If you run wide radials up front, it may be even more noticeable. Therefore, I would keep the tire pressure relatively high for the first pass (15-18psi) until you get a feel for it. Just remember that even though it feels like the rear is sliding around, it isn't...just keep the wheel straight and don't make drastic corrections and it will go straight. If the tires are new, you should smoke them pretty well on the first burnout of the night and after that you can lessen your burnouts as it won't take near as long to get them sticky. Since every car is different, you'll need to just play with launch RPM to find what works best. Start on the lower side and work your way up till you find the medium between bogging and spinning. You also shouldn't have to slip the clutch like on drag radials as the soft sidewall of the ET Streets should absorb the shock of the launch. One last thing to do is make sure the tires don't rub anywhere before going to the track. These tires will grow taller as they spin faster and create more heat. So even if it isn't rubbing when going slow and parked, if it is very close it may very well rub at the top end of the track, so be sure to check all this beforehand.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I ran them at the track friday and couldnt be happier with them. They are a used set of tires that have about a season left in them (I paid $100 for them...wanted to see if I liked them before paying $400 for new ones). I have a stock stalled AOD with a minor bolt on 302 with a 150 shot spraying around 2500rpm. The best I pulled with my Nittos was a 1.78 60ft and a 8.15 1/8th mile time. But that was only once, my second best was an 8.59 with 1.92 60ft. With the ET streets, I ran an 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2 all with 1.8 60fts.

These tires are WAY different then a radial (I drove on my Nittos to the track, I will NEVER use these ETs on the street). I ended up running them at around 12lbs and never had a problem. I will keep buying ET Streets for the track and would suggest them to anyone that will use them for TRACK ONLY

·
Registered
220 Posts
why not on the street. they drive fine as long as you have them filled back up. noticed zero swaying riding in my friends car with the same tires, felt like normal tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts