Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Turkey and getting any part here is expensive with customs and shipping.
A buddy is giving it for cheap, so instead o buying a bov I was thinking of using the wastegate as a bov.

Can it be done?
Reason's I am thinking of going this route:

1. My friend is giving it for cheap ( 40 mm )
2. Thinking of using it to control excess boost ( plan on going no more than 7 psi ) in case original wastegate get's stuck.
3. Worst case scenario I can use it as an extra wastegate if I upgrade the Turbo in the future.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't see why not. Its essentially the same thing, although I don't think you could use a bov for a wg. I'm thinking a wg is designed for high heat. I would clean it real well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't think you can. The wastegate controls exhaust gasses that actually get to the turbo to allow it to build boost. The BOV on the other hand lets the pressurized air out of the intake when you let off the gas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Don't think it'll work that way, it won't release until at a certain pressure, bov releases at vacuum. For what it's worth you don't HAVE to run a BOV, but it's recommended, will just hurt spool time and make odd noises until you get one.

·
Registered
839 Posts
for what it is worth my $.02

So a BOV works on vacuum to the top of the valve causing the diaphragm to open up when combined with the pressure in the cold side tube. A wastegate has 2 ports 1 on the bottom where you feed boost one on the top where you could feed boost to control via an EBC. If you apply vacuum to the top with a low rate spring it should pull the valve open. Combine that with the pressure from the boost on the cold side I can not see why it would not work????????????????

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
because with a bov vaccum pulls the valve open. with a wastegate boost pushes the valve open. its all depending on where the port is located in relation to the diaphram though. A wastegate could be modified to work, but not without modification. on a blow off valve the diaphram is located underneath the vaccum port. on a wastegate the diaphram is located above the reference port. i am not saying it will work, but you could try replacing the spring inside with one that is meant for a blow off valve, then run your vaccum hose to the top port and plug the bottom port

·
Registered
839 Posts
Understood and not trying to be a d1ck just trying to learn. Now a tial has a port on the top and the bottom so I would assume vacuum would pull it open on the top port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts