Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car in question is an SN95.

I am using (yet to be installed), stock 95 front lower control arms with press in urethane bushings (Prothane from MM), into the original shells.

Where would the potential squeaking associated with urethane bushings originate from? Between the bolt and sleeve? Or between the bushing ends and the K-member ears?

Is there a NEED for greaseable bolts? The only thing that a greaseable bolt will do (from what I can see) is lubricate between the bolt and the inside of the sleeve, which would then overflow outwards to the bushing ends.

Mainly a street driven car, which may see open track on a rare occasion or two per year.

I appreciate any insight you folks have to offer.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all bolts are greasable, just smear some grease on them and bam! greased! :)
LOL Thats what I would do anyway, but my friend whos helping with the install (using his shop, since I can only do so much in the driveway) is quite steadfast that I use greaseable bolts with the urethane bushings.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
The greaseable bolts seem to be more popular with the 4x4/off-roading crowd.

Generic picture:

Maybe it's just me being fearful of things I don't know, but that scares the hell out of me from a strength standpoint.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maybe it's just me being fearful of things I don't know, but that scares the hell out of me from a strength standpoint.
Im with you on that one...Hit a pothole and im running over my control arms! LOL

The bolts would be the stock ones (metric 10.9 strength, similar to a grade 8?), modified to be greaseable, but not that far down the body of the bolt.

But again, is there a need for me to have these??

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
IMHO, no. MM supplies ridiculously tacky silicone grease to use when assembling everything. I'm talking cat-walking-on-glue-traps tacky, the #### sticks to everything, and it does that so it won't squeeze or wash out.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I've never seen those greasable bolts, pretty clever.

But I agree with MFE that they probably aren't necessary. From my experience it seems most of the potential for squeaking is the movement of the bushing around the sleeve, not the bushing against the mount ears.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the greaseable bolts. You're only going to make a mess, add costs, potential hardware failure, and no real benefit. FWIW I have the same urethane bushings in the front of my Mach and have had 0 issues using the supplied grease on the outs/ins of the bushings.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks MFE, Partrick Olsen and 93Krwy!

I'll leave the bolts be, as I was going to, and use that special grease when I go to install the control arms. I ordered a small tub of the grease (Energy Suspension, couldnt get the Prothane one, but Im sure both are the same thing pretty much) on my way home tonight.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've read the squeak comes from the ends of the bushing rubbing the bracketry. I belt sanded mine slightly to be the same length as the sleeve, and lightly rounded them.

I also put a grease fitting right through the side of each other sleeve and bushing. A couple of squirts of marine grease a year and no squeaks so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have poly bushings in my Van's leaf springs and they only squeak a little on cold days. I used the supplied grease too.....nasty stuff that sticks to everything.

Have a question about fastener torque. I just installed poly bushings on the front of my 85 Mustang and I question the need to use the factory torque specs. The OE rubber bushings work differently than the poly bushings. What did you guys use??

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have poly bushings in my Van's leaf springs and they only squeak a little on cold days. I used the supplied grease too.....nasty stuff that sticks to everything.

Have a question about fastener torque. I just installed poly bushings on the front of my 85 Mustang and I question the need to use the factory torque specs. The OE rubber bushings work differently than the poly bushings. What did you guys use??
I did what ever MM recommended but I don't remember what that is.You can look at their website at the installation instructions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts