Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my bar. Now it appears like the rear does not squat like it used to before. I have not been to the track yet. Is that normal or do I need to make adjustments?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked underneath and there is still clearance between arms and floor pan. When I pushed down on the trunk, it doesn't bounce like it used to.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Why would you want the car to squat?
You don't want it to bind either. I just installed mine and did the same thing after jacking it up (rear end hanging). What happened was the links fully retracted and was so vertical that it didn't swing back to its normal position, thus was like solid mounted.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
It's all in how you mount it and weld it. If you don't cool the bearings immediately after you take the torch away from your 3/4" stitch weld to cool it, you will melt the bearings. Also, it has to rotate easily before you weld it and afterwards, if it is hard to move, then it is in a bind. It also has to be forward and up as far as it will allow, or it will cause problems. My car goes 1.30 sixty foots with my bar, and I picked up a tenth over my MM unit. It should be adjust so that at full squat it will not hit the trunk pan. Hope all this helps. I had a guy weld mine in for me because I was too busy with a customer's car and ended up having to buy new bearing pieces and cutting out the old stuff and welding in the new myself. It was a hassle. I have installed a bunch of these and they all work perfectly. If you need any other advice, please PM me. Good luck with it and hold on!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know. The first guy that installed for me, did not know what he was doing. He welded the tabs to high and they kept hitting the trunk. One was actually crooked and kept breaking off.
The next guy welded the tabs straight and lower but the spherical rods bent a little on the top after riding around in the street. Is that ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
here are the installation instruction for the UPR anti-roll bars (if it works)

1. Raise Car The car should be jacked up and placed on jack stands, or set up on a lift.

2. Prepare for Welding
Hold the Anti-Roll bar and ends in place on the frame rails, as far forward as possible. The plates can be tweaked to conform to the frame. Remove all paint, dirt and grime from the area to be welded.

3. Raise the Anti-Roll bar into place, Tack one side and measure both sides to insure that the bar is parallel to the axle centerline. Tack the other side. Check that the bar pivots freely and weld into place. Then tack around bar ends to prevent heat from warping the plates.

*******VERY IMPORTANT*******
BECAUSE OF THE HIGH QUALITY SEALED BEARINGS USED IN THE ANTI-ROLL BAR KIT, CARE MUST BE TAKEN NOT TO OVERHEAT THE SEALS WHEN WELDING. THIS CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED BY WELDING A SMALL LENGTH AT A TIME (ONE INCH OR SO) AND THEN SPRAYING THE MOUNT WITH A WATER BOTTLE, OR A THOROUGHLY WET, SMALL RAG CAN BE WRAPPED AROUND THE BEARING HOUSING WHILE WELDING.

4. Hardware
Adjust the heim joints in the links so that four threads are showing and do not tighten the jam nuts. Screw links into the roll bar with mounting tabs hanging down. Rear end should be hanging freely with the shocks fully extended.

5. Align and Mount Tabs
Check links for alignment to insure squareness. Adjust sway bar height that tabs are on rear of housing, about middle in height. Clean paint off area to be welded. Tack all tabs. Unbolt lower heim joint during welding and weld tabs.

6. Set-up
Install all bolts in links and tighten locknuts. Remove jack stands. Check air pressure in tires and make equal. Have driver sit in the car, make sure there is at least 2-3 inches of clearance between the Anti-roll bar and floor. Disconnect lower passenger side heim joint and adjust so it fits in easily and reinstall bolts. UPR believes preload should be put in the upper control arm and thus calls for this neutral setting on the anti-roll bar.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
If the suspension moves up/down then it's probably right. Take the rear shocks off and bounce up/down on it. If it moves w/o hitting anything then is probably good to go..

ks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts