Ford Mustang Forums banner

Upper Radiator Core Support Modification

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Pantherphysed21 
#1 ·
Need to remove/modify upper radiator core support on my 1986.

Installing larger radiator with electric fans and with the supercharger set up it just too tight.

Lower support to be removed and replaced with a tubular.

Do I need to brace the Upper? Was thinking of removing the center section and bracing to the new lower. Also thought of creating a new tubular center section.

Anyone who has modified this for there set ups please post pics if possible

Thanks Corral

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
what blower and belt setup? intercooled or non-intercooled?

i thought there was a way to run a slightly smaller radiator and fit it under the upper support?
maybe someone else will chime in and so subscribing.

#3 ·
Paxton Novi 2 belt

No intercooler

Front body is off the car. Getting ready for paint. Now is the time to modify

Upper support is bent slightly from a minor bump at some point. If it was perfect I would leave it alone

Yes you can lower and get under it with radiator.

Other thought on removal of upper would be ease of motor swap. This isn't the last engine going in this fox

#4 ·
not sure what k-member you're running now, and you may already know this but you can gain some clearance but moving engine back.

#5 ·
Stock k member. Didn't know that. I put new poly mounts in. Can't remember exactly how they were set. My bent upper annoys me. Beyond functionality is rather look at something clean and fabricated

#6 ·
can't recall if you can gain any clearance with the stock but an aftermarket does help. on friend's '91 with a maximum motorsports Kmember and vortech Si 8rib setup we installed a lincoln mark 8 fan. had to push the motor back and trim the hell out of the shroud but in the end it fit and still had enough room to squeeze in a belt if/when one needed to be replaced.

i tried searching for an old thread that i recall seeing about your subject but no luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.