Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to run the quantum hanger with 450 walbro; will this drop right into a factory fuel tank?

how should I go about upgrading the factory wiring to run this pump?

looking to make 600 to 700 rwhp.

·
Formerly LSNotch
830 Posts
I would upgrade the wiring with anything over 255. I have an AEM 340 and just ran new wire (10/12ga) directly from the starter solenoid positive point with a good relay (think 30a) and used the factory connection at the back to trigger the pump. Relay is sitting inside rear steel bumper support.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
What’s a quantum hanger? Sorry I’ve been out of the fuel pump improvements for 15 years and need some education here. I am blown away by the fact they make a 450lph that fits in stock tank/system now. Do these work with stock fuel lines too or does one need to upgrade to larger IDs for a pump this large? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could find a way to make stock lines work, but likely won’t be big enough on the return. I will run 8an and 6an to aftermarket rails using the quantum.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Ah HA! Thanks that sure provides all the info I needed. Looks great and I see AN lines cleanly adapt here forward.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quantum also sells their “hotwire” kit for these pumps. Might be worth getting it from them when you order the pump. I was looking into buying the same kit.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Thanks I was mostly curious about it. I have enough fuel delivery for my meager current needs. I did all that relay and wiring work 17 yrs ago to optimize my (then new & improved!) 255lph pump.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

This is what I use when I swaped to a prom hanger and wired it to relay that was triggered by the factory fuel pump wiring in trunk.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Nice. They didn’t have that years ago and I spliced in 10 gauge wires up close to the OEM connector. So I do have a small length with small gauge wire. Perhaps an inch if memory serves. I’ll keep this in mind and may upgrade too.

My battery/ solenoid/ relay are all back in the trunk so it was an easy job to do it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Blackfive0, @Leadsled Coupe - I have the Ron Francis version of that pigtail. Did you guys just pass the wires through the existing grommet into your hatch/trunk? I have been toying with the idea of trying to de-pin/re-pin this into the OEM harness connector (since I will be snipping those wires and running to the relay), but I'm not sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I snipped the wires close to the connector and soldered in 10 gauge as I recall. Ran those large wires to the relay etc.

I still have a small bottle neck but mine is sufficient for the needs I’ve had so far these last 20 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts