Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my current set up has been battling overheating issues when having to sit in traffic a little bit, living in Houston that's always gonna happen at some point. There has been no cooling problems while driving 50+ but low speeds the temps keep creeping up and up.

Motor is a Boss 331, Hellion turbo kit, stock water pump, 180* thermostat, SN95 fan, aluminum radiator, etc. Ive put a PTP Turbo blanket and wrapped the downpipe in their same lava wrap.

will wrapping the headers help lower the under hood temps quite a bit? I'm still running a stock hood so to me it seems like the hot air really doesn't have any way to escape quick enough when sitting in traffic, just wondering if it would help or not.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
it will and it will help spool but may not fix your problem completely

what fan are you running?

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
sorry I missed that part. anyways traffic heating issues are all fan and the SN95 has some good flow although you could always try the mother of all fans if you know what I mean. check the Tstat as it could be sticking. other than that maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry I missed that part. anyways traffic heating issues are all fan and the SN95 has some good flow although you could always try the mother of all fans if you know what I mean. check the Tstat as it could be sticking. other than that maybe someone else will chime in.

which is the "mother of all fans"? lol

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Lincoln mark 8 :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I agree that the issue is more about cooling the water in the radiator more than the temps under the hood. Need more airflow through the radiator and/or a larger radiator. Don't forget that air has to escape from under the hood too.

ks

·
Registered
281 Posts
i'm doing a turbo build for my fox and have purchased a Lincoln Mark Viii fan. Hoping I don't have any overheat issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd definitely try wrapping at least the cross over. But without the heat having a way to escape there's only so much that can be done. I've got a Cervinis heat extractor hood to go on my car over the winter while it's being painted for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
there's gotta be some guys with turbo setups and factory hoods with no cooling issues that can chime in

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
there's gotta be some guys with turbo setups and factory hoods with no cooling issues that can chime in
I did. My turbos are between the radiator and the engine, no pipes are wrapped and my car runs 175-185* even if it's 100* outside in downtown traffic.

It has a Mishimoto radiator and stock 4.6 fan. I even have a huge IC and the AC condenser in front of the radiator and no cowl hood.

I do not have inner fenders and there are two large holes to let air in/out of the engine bay in front of the air filters.

ks

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have the stock hood, cheap SVE radiator, dual contour fans w painless controller and I haven't had any coolant temp issues. I also have a/c and heat exchanger.

Now underhood heat is a different story. Melted and cracked up my freshly primered scottrod panel and strut tower on the passenger side. I have a turbo blanket and everything wrapped. A cowl hood is in my future

·
Registered
563 Posts
I agree about not having enough fan. I have a 351w, stock hood, cheap advance radiator for a stock 5.0, mark 8 fan, a/c and a GT-45 turbo and have no overheating issues.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Might even look into a different radiator if that one doesn't have enough cooling fins. What brand is it?

ks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have the same turbo kit on a 363 and my engine temp rise to about 210 . My project over the winter is to install this radiator support and remove the stock one because it block a lot of the IC and radiator . And lower my IC down a bit also and see does that help . I still have AC also and Contour fans .

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have the same turbo kit on a 363 and my engine temp rise to about 210 . My project over the winter is to install this radiator support and remove the stock one because it block a lot of the IC and radiator . And lower my IC down a bit also and see does that help . I still have AC also and Contour fans .

·
Registered
904 Posts
I know this post seems to be talking more about sitting still in traffic but if you are getting hot before you slow down or stop in traffic have you looked at your air deflector under the radiator support? It is there for a reason mostly while driving to help direct air to the radiator. The cooler it is while driving the longer it takes to get hot while sitting.

Just make sure the cooling system is up to task by applying all that has been suggested or shared. But since most turbo kits have the turbo(s) near the engine, you really need to consider some kind of hood vents or aftermarket functional cowl. I personally would have the cowl and in addition some vents that are near the turbo(s) to allow best underhood temperature control.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts