Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the underdrive pulleys worth the time to install on a turbo car? I had them years ago on a stock 89 and maybe saw 10hp. Will there be a bigger increase with a turbo motor?

331 dart with dart pro 1 heads, Hellion 76mm kit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't waste your time. All they will do is slow your water pump down and you'll run hotter. If you want 10 more HP just up 1/2 lb of boost, or just add some octane booster...hell drive at night and you'll pick up 10.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree---probably not worth the trouble. Some guys with turbos actually end up looking around for the cobra WP pulley that was something like 10% overdrive. Wait, that was me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do it and see how your car runs. Pulleys are not a waste. If your car runs warmer just spend the extra 2 bucks and get a cooler thermostat. The less drag on the motor will help spool the turbo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do it and see how your car runs. Pulleys are not a waste. If your car runs warmer just spend the extra 2 bucks and get a cooler thermostat. The less drag on the motor will help spool the turbo.

He said is it worth the time...basically no it's not. When all he's looking for is ten HP it's far easier to just turn the boost knob up an get the power that way. A turbo car deals with HP by the hundreds, and to waste 100+ bucks and an hour of time on a few pullies that might make 5 rwhp (if you're lucky) and make you run hotter (with less amperage from your alternator) it's most definitely not wrth it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
He said is it worth the time...basically no it's not. When all he's looking for is ten HP it's far easier to just turn the boost knob up an get the power that way. A turbo car deals with HP by the hundreds, and to waste 100+ bucks and an hour of time on a few pullies that might make 5 rwhp (if you're lucky) and make you run hotter (with less amperage from your alternator) it's most definitely not wrth it.
HOWEVER you can not just keep adding boost if that was the case keep the engine stock and run 50psi, all i am saying is if you want every little bit out of the car they still will yeild another 10th!! at some point you will haveto do other thing than just adding boost!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
HOWEVER you can not just keep adding boost if that was the case keep the engine stock and run 50psi, all i am saying is if you want every little bit out of the car they still will yeild another 10th!! at some point you will haveto do other thing than just adding boost!
and my car never gets hot and i have a 160 amp alternator!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts