Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take some video of what's going on with the belt under boost. Belt torqued to 100 lbs/ft, 2.95" and 8" pullies, and Dayco Gold Label belt. I'm not getting much belt dust but boost beyond 16 psi is not very stable and is not climbing as fast as it does under 16 psi. I wish I could fit a spring tensioner on the slack side to help control some of this.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If boost is spiking, its probably belt slippage as you mentioned.

You could consider going with a cog set up to eliminate this issue.
Is this used mostly for street driving. ?

SICKFOX

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over the years, it's become more street than strip. This isn't causing me any real problems. I only wish I could fix it since it's something on my car that's not right.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Neat video! Have you seen what I ended up doing to get rid of my manual tensioner?

With the manual tensioner:

The spring tensioner I made while it was in development:

And on the dyno:

Of course, disregard if you've already seen this stuff...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neat video! Have you seen what I ended up doing to get rid of my manual tensioner?

Of course, disregard if you've already seen this stuff...
I've seen your set up and it's what made me start thinking about the spring tensioner in the first place. Nice set up. I'm going to see what I can do with mine. No room by the head unit because of the AC lines but I might be able to do something closer to the crank.

Too bad I didn't get a belt tension measurement. Here is another similar discussion thread.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/superchargers/2300378-best-way-set-tension-renegade-brackets.html

What pulley(s) are you currently using?
2.95/8 Vortech pulleys.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Let me know if I can help. I'm even happy having up a quick little bracket for you here or there if you need it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know if I can help. I'm even happy having up a quick little bracket for you here or there if you need it.
Thanks for the offer. May take you up on it if I can find a spot for the tensioner.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try the anderson belt tensioner
I don't have any issues tightening the belt. I could crank the torque wrench to 150 lb/ft or whatever number I wanted. The problem is the manual tensioner.

As the blower is spun up and builds boost, it starts stretching the belt. The manual tensioner can't take up the slack from the belt being longer now and you get the effect that is in the videos above. The only way to prevent this is to have an automatic tensioner on the slack side or manually tighten the belt to the point it can't stretch anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts