1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
USAF retired
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I'd have to think about this a while and do some calculations and plots to be sure, but it looks like that would cause the upper arms to pull upwards on the floor. That would make the rear separate and also make the front lift decrease.

I'd be a little careful with upper arms that are not adjustable yet alter the arm angles.

That "hit" only increases pressure until the axle settles in final position, and it would tend to seek level upper arm holes. The rear axle housing reaction to counter the tire force on the track tries to roll the housing top backwards.

My car comes out about 10,000 pounds pulling back at the holes, or 5K per hole. If you get that force line high it will put the car right on the bumper, so raising the arm rear should reduce front end lift.

My car likes the upper arms angled slightly down to the front before the hit. If I get my upper arms high in the front it goes on the bumper. If I get the arms angled down too much to the front it gets no weight transfer at all.

I have a Wild Rides S box.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Location of the hole on the control arm does not alter the actual angle of the arm, the mounting locations on the axle and chassis itself does. An offset hole on the arm may compromise strength of the arm though.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Location of the hole on the control arm does not alter the actual angle of the arm, the mounting locations on the axle and chassis itself does. An offset hole on the arm may compromise strength of the arm though.
Exactly.
When plotting the geometry you only measure the mounting holes/positions.. The shape the steel between the holes doesn't affect anything. Only draw a line from one bolt to the other bolt, this is the important angle for figuring geometry.

The rear mounting hole is offset from the centerline of the turnbuckle and this is actually a bad idea since this could bend the U channel under high loads/stress.

ks

·
USAF retired
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly.
When plotting the geometry you only measure the mounting holes/positions.. The shape the steel between the holes doesn't affect anything. ks
OK, that makes sense. I was wondering if the mounting point on the arm was them trying to manipulate something in the geometry.

·
USAF retired
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts