Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys this is my first post here, unfortunately for me I think it is a bad one!:curses: I also have this same crank and have been trying to find info for it without any success so I called RPM and they told me they think I have a counterfit crank and rods???? ARRRRRR!!!!! They said they have absolutely no records of DG3-302DBF????????? FAKE? and for the rods, I also mentioned them, they say RPM 5315 on the side of the rod " RPM told me they never did this! They said if they are really there rods they would say RPM ARP on the bolts on the rod and mine just say ARP, so needless to say sounds like I just have a whole bunch of junk for my $3,000.00 Dart sportsman block! This stuff was purchased from E-bay of coarse. I got a reciept with the stuff from Probe, but the seller must have swaped parts or somthing, I called them and they said the reciept was a real order and did occur. What you guys think?Sorry for the repost, but I thought I could draw more attention. Thanks guys Great site!

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,161 Posts
RPM doesnt make cranks, so you can call it any name you like, it is identical to the crank rpm sells, simply steel crank, 28oz balance. The rod is not an rpm. Gotta love ebay, its always cheaper :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
IMHO, buying a dart block and putting fleabay part's is like taking a world class athlete and transplanting the liver kidney's and heart of a 40 year alcoholic, put some procomp heads on top and give him the lung's of a smoker. Now your gold medal winner is nothing more then average couch potato that looks good on the outside. Sorry about your luck, you started out right, return or sell that suff and start fresh, do it right the first time you will be much happier even if it takes longer. Good luck

Give woody at ford strokers a call or email and he can help you plan a rotating assy that will hold up to your power goals and last.

·
Vendor
12,161 Posts
So wait.... RPM makes their own rods, but someone else makes the cranks that RPM sells?
Been like that forever, so the name is irrelevant, call it a Jefferson crank if ya like. You simply need to run through enough of the import cranks to find out which are junk and which are worthy. There is 3 VERY good cranks rpm sells.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Been like that forever, so the name is irrelevant, call it a Jefferson crank if ya like. You simply need to run through enough of the import cranks to find out which are junk and which are worthy. There is 3 VERY good cranks rpm sells.
You mean cranks at certain specs are made at different plants? Out of curiosity which are those 3?

·
Registered
683 Posts
From their website:

Materials
RPM International offers three distinct types of crankshafts—Cast, 4130/5140 Forged with Nitriding, and the SAE 4340 Forged with Nitriding, which is our top of the line.

SAE Certified 4340 forged material is used for superior strength and its proven performance in the aircraft and aerospace industries. For increased strength these cranks are given a second heat treatment after rough finishing and then nitride hardened eliminating any deformation after leaving the factory.

RPM cranks are perfect for the racer who wants a forged unit without the price of a full race crank. These crankshafts are made from SAE Certified 4130, 4142, or 5140 materials and are nitride hardened for superior strength. These cranks use the part number prefix DG5 (for example: DG5-182D). Please consult your price list or the RPM catalog for the most popular street/strip applications.

RPM cast crankshafts are designed as a better than stock nodular iron OE replacement for domestic applications. Strong castings and a large selection of stroke and rod combinations make these cranks ideal for the street/strip racer. These crankshafts use part number prefix QT for example QT-039. Please consult your price list or the RPM catalog for your application.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys think this stuff could have come from Probe or CHP? Or do you think it is just junk someone put together? This was back in 2002. Are these just some cheap rods? the bolts say ARP? Guy at RPM said they may even be fake ARP bolts????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neither RPM international or RPM Machine are claiming this crank to be theirs, so who's is it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Probe rods say RPM/ARP on the bolts and the part number is Y5400 and nothing else written on it.
Thank you for your responce Goody_seven, yeah that is what RPM industries told me they should say. Mine just say ARP, these are old and I read somwhere they once put RPM 5315 on the side, but I cant find who said that now. Man if these are fake/ imitation they sure did a hell of a job! the ARP bolts sure look real and they all weigh in at 544 to 545g on my cheap scales, the display is changing from 544 to 545 back and forth on all the rods???? I would'nt think a cheap fake or imitation would be so close? not even a gram off. I cant find any other info on the net either about RPM rod copies or any other complaints like mine? anyone have any info?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts