Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which pulleys are the best for a 97 GT? Do all of them require the stock crank pulley to be bolted on over the new one, or is there a set that works as the vibration damper as well? Seems like you'd be gaining weight and rotating mass by having to use both pulleys.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lon,

I have a set of ASP pulleys that I used for 10k miles with no problem. I can't use them any more since the blower install two years ago. They are NOT the piggyback style you are referring to and are a direct bolt on replacement.

let me know if you're interested.
Marty

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Lon,

I also have a set of pulleys available if you are interested. Except, mine are the piggy back style (March).

Brian

·
Registered
866 Posts
97GTConvt said:
Which pulleys are the best for a 97 GT? Do all of them require the stock crank pulley to be bolted on over the new one, or is there a set that works as the vibration damper as well? Seems like you'd be gaining weight and rotating mass by having to use both pulleys.
There's no reason to use piggyback pulleys unless you really MUST save a few bucks. Go with Steeda or ASP, they have a built-in vibration dampener and do NOT require piggyback. IMO, the miniscule difference in price is well worth the higher quality.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I either read or heard thru the rumor mill that the Steeda units were approved by some governing racing body for racing use. Those are the ones I intend to get, not for that reason but they are readily available and quite nice looking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
I either read or heard thru the rumor mill that the Steeda units were approved by some governing racing body for racing use.
SFI. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Although it is a mere few ounces, the piggy back style does add more reciprocating weight. Could be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As far as being beneficial, if you were doing autocross, etc., you want the engine to be able to rev up asap. If you're drag racing...look at it two ways. With slicks that stick like glue, the momentum of the reciprocating assembly (balancer, pullies, crank, etc.) would be less likely to lose momentum when launching. If you were on street tires or drag radials, with less weight on the reciprocating assembly, there would be less shock to your tires, therefore decreasing the chance of them breaking loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts