Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got state inspected today and the inspector said that as of about 4 months ago, the Texas DPS has instructed them to fail vehicles that have an airfilter that is exposed, like a K&N. He said that the DPS reason was that an exposed filter was more likely to get something in the engine and cause engine damage which was then a safety concern. Sounds like a load of bull crap to me. The DPS is trying to shut down the performance aftermarket! A K&N is WAY stronger than a stock paper element. Is there a hot line at K&N or SEMA that we can get some help on this? Fortunately for me, he did not want to get on his back to check my filter in the fender. I told him that it was enclosed and he let it go

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was denied a sticker because of my open filter, put my stock box and filter back on and they passed it. This was a year and a half ago in texas.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A way around this is to either relocate the air filter to the inside of the fender or put a shield around it. That way it is not exposed.

As far as the cats are concerned, either bolt-on your stock h-pipe, buy a high perfomance X/H-Pipe or if you really want to get sneaky, weld on some empty cats around your O/R X/H-Pipe.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sucks to live in texas, i guess. Here in my part of Pennsylvania, I could have a blower sticking out of the hood, and open headers and the inspectors would pass it. Maybe it's just in my area, but I love it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Aaron 4.6 said:
What are these "inspections" I keep hearing about? :confused:

Must be a Yankee thing.
Not too many Yankees here in Texas, and those that are, don't last!

I guess the best way to pass that part of the inspection would be to get an inspection license! :p I will pass everytime!

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
369 Posts
Practically speaking, every filter is exposed to the air. So any car that starts and runs should fail the test because some portion of the filter was exposed. Another ******* law by people who just KNOW they are smarter then everybody else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess it depends on where you go and who you know. I go to a Mobil station around the corner, there is an older dude there that had a Shelby Mustang back in the 60's, loves my car, no problem getting it stickered. He also knows I am putting in a blown built engine and new rear end and the understanding we have is he will sticker it again as long as it passes a visual (leave the emmissions stuff in place, cats, etc.). My K&N has always been in the fenderwell so don't know if that could have ever been an issue.

Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
In Chester County PA where my parents live, and I grew up, they run your car on a dyno for ten minutes while they measure the emissions. No faking it with welded on cats!!! The damn ECONAZIS make it harder and harder to have fun every year. I am tempted to get my car registered here in FL before I leave because they don't have emissions.

As it stands I cannont drive my car in PA right now because the emissions and inspection expired in 1997 when I left. I have been pulled over on my last two trips home and was only given stern warnings because I told the cop I was on leave and that I am active duty military.

Oh well,
Gabe

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
<ENVENOMED> said:
Sucks to live in texas, i guess. Here in my part of Pennsylvania, I could have a blower sticking out of the hood, and open headers and the inspectors would pass it. Maybe it's just in my area, but I love it.
Where in PA do you live? Must be in the sticks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Houston, Texas, specifically. The rest of the state is civilized... The death-gas that all the refineries belch out forces ridiculous auto/truck emissions laws... San Antonio has no dyno, no exhaust sniffer, no open filter element inspections...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Blue98Cobra said:
San Antonio has no dyno, no exhaust sniffer, no open filter element inspections...
Amen!!!!

Dude, just go to some rinky dink backroads inspection station and youll be alright. Youre making too much work for yourself

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I thought the ex governer of Texas was a Yank. The Bush family was from Conneticut. Damn Texans were ruled by a Yanks for years and didn't even know it!:joy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is my understanding that as of May 1st ever state inspection place had to have the 45,000 dollar dyno machine. Every car prior to 1996 is required to be dynoed and run to 30 mph for the emissions check. I have to get my license for this on the 16th and 17th of this month. I am NOT looking forward to this. It takes FOREVER to perform these inspections. You have to dial into the state several times to transmit this info. Then for the 95 and older vehicles, if you don't line it up perfectly straight on the dyno, you had better RUN! I predict that in about two years this system will not be in place. It is costing the state A LOT of money, not to mention the thousands of people that were put out of business across the state (that will make for some unhappy voters!).

Later,
Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts