Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im new to turbos. Im planning on doing twins on my built 5.4. Thinking about getting 2x pt5858cea turbos for the engine. But like i said im new to turbos so advice is welcome!! Id like to be about 25-30ish psi

Looking to get into the upper 800hp maybe north of that. Car is a light street car, occasional strip car

Engine is full forged
9.5 to 1cr
Tfs heads
Eddy intake
I need turbo cams
Bunch of other stuff to support over 900hp

Fuel system is already good for 1500, im already running e85, just need supporting injectors for the new hp level

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Mod Motor? You would easily hit your goals with those Turbos. My advice is to not go huge with Cams for the street so it will spool fast and drive nice. You don't need long duration cams because the Turbos will do the work. Just add Boost..

Another thing is maintenance.. Twins are are the top for coolness, but they're at the bottom for servicing the motor.. Everything will be tight in there so forget about doing quick Plug changes because the Downtubes will probably be in the way. Turbos put off a lot of heat! Be prepared to move Electrical Wiring around to prevent a meltdown. Furthermore, I had a big problem with burning up Plug Wires on the regular, and had to improvise ways to keep the wires from touching the Headers or Downtubes. It will show as lean on the AFR's.. Ceramic Boots like from Accel are the way to go..

Moreover, go with Teflon Hoses for anything oil.. All the heat will dry out regular Braided Lines and they will leak real fast. A hose that was good will then leak everywhere just because you removed it for some reason..

Also, vent the Crankcase. My engine would gulp oil in the PCV Catch Can until I put a -12 on each Valve Cover and added another Can. It totally changed the tuneup afterwards, the engine made more power, and was more predictable to tune in and out Boost. Now i just get a little black mist buildup in both cans while the oil stays cleaner.

Stainless Steel Turbo Gaskets work great installed dry by themselves and are cheap. Just get a bunch.

There's probably more, but it's twice the parts and twice the work as a Single, but on the street nothing is more cool and spools faster..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You won't need to run 25-30psi to make 900hp. Like stated you don't need large cams.

Agree with the twins make a lot of heat. A well designed kit will keep wires from burning. I can get at every one of my spark plugs on my twin setup without removing a dp (sbf setup) or anything else.

Don't use any gaskets anywhere. Copper rtv is all you need to use. Cheap and works well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the info!! Yes its a mod motor 5.4 bored .030 over...i have to open up my rings a little more for 25-30psi as they're set up for 15psi right now. I was looking at CG fabrication twin hot side

Does anyone run no waste gate? If i have to i will but i was reading some people do not.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
CG makes nice kits.

What fuel will you be running? 25-30psi on pump gas wont work. If you are planning on running that high you should be looking at running larger turbos that will be more efficient.

You need to run wastegates or risk over boosting and having a pile of parts laying on the ground.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CG makes nice kits.

What fuel will you be running? 25-30psi on pump gas wont work. If you are planning on running that high you should be looking at running larger turbos that will be more efficient.

You need to run wastegates or risk over boosting and having a pile of parts laying on the ground.
im runnning E85 now, i planned on sticking with that. ill look into sizing waste gates. just new to the turbo thing, so researching any chance i get.
i plan on spinning to about 6500rpm, i dont need anything more than that.
larger turbos? i was doing math about the CFM that my engine needs and the cfm these put out and everything was adding up.if im wrong, im wrong but this is just my limited research.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I use their HP Calculator. It seems to be the most conservative at a .65 BSFC on Gas. All the other Calculators I've found give higher numbers.

I'm tuning with a Megasquirt 3. What are you running? Definitely run Wastegates. It's real easy to change Boost levels once everything is dialed in by just entering the number..

I have 331 small block and run twin 4psi 38mm Wastegates. They work just fine. My HP levels are about the same as what you want. But you should be able to make more with the DOHC Heads on e85.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the stock ecm and will bring it to my dyno guy for tuning. I know the 4v heads flow good but i already have tfs 2v heads.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
the tfs 2v heads outflow the 4v heads

I hope u dont have the R heads as I had a pretty steep learning curve with them. I was the first person to ever run them and after about $10G+ in engine damages I eventually figured out that the older tfs cams dont work on R heads due to the custom valve train geometry. If u do have the R heads then use ONLY tfs cams for the R head.

For reference all of the healthy 5.4 with tfs heads Ive tuned have always put down around 400rwhp. My tfs headed 5.4 put down 454rwhp n/a on regular pump gas.

You dont need wastegates if your maxing out the turbos. All wastegates do is vent excess exhaust to slow the turbos down when you hit your spring pressure. If you size your turbos to your max power you do not need wastegates. Ive done several setups with no wastegates without any issues.

I have a wastegate sizing chart in my pre tune write up and a ton more info you should read up on. Its always wise to have a wastegate though just in case.

Also youll be making a bit more power at your desired boost. For reference I have 30lbs of boost on my 03 cobra and it makes just over 1400rwhp. I have 30lbs on my 02 harley truck and it makes right at 1200rwhp.

Worse case youll be in the 1050rwhp range at 26lbs.

I run the bosch 220lb injectors in both my vehicles mentioned, I recommend you do the same. They work excellent and both vehicles can be daily driven no problem.

Pre tune info

If your local guy is savvy on the ford stuff then you should be good. Make sure hes tuned 1000+rwhp vehicles using the stock ford ecu though. Once you get over 1000+rwhp you have to scale back quite a bit and if youve never done it before it can be tedious to have perfect driveability for a daily driver.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont think i have th R heads. when i bought them i was going NA so they are the 38cc 185 heads, if i remember right the Rs were 195 correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts