Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I installed the Ford Racing TVS and Cobra Jet throttle body, along with the FRRP M-5320-SA "KR" Axle back Exhaust.

Ford makes a "2010 Specific" TVS kit that's rated at 660 HP. Since I already had the TVS from my previous GT500, (rated at 605 HP) I wanted to use it on my 2010. Speaking to the great folks at Ford Racing, they said the '10 version of the TVS was the same blower, with a slightly smaller pulley, and has the resonator eliminator as part of the kit. Since the '10's also have knock sensors, the tune is also more aggressive. They fixed me up with a new ProCal tune and registered my blower for my 2010. I picked up the resonator eliminator from Blue Oval Industries. With the larger pulley, they said to expect around 630 horsepower. I can live with that. :evil:

One of the nice things about how Ford does things, is that the blower upgrade is easier than doing an intake swap on a pushrod motor. It's a matter of slapping on the blower, uploading the tune and GO. Without hurrying, you can get the blower on in under 2 hours easily. I've done it a few times now, so it took me about an hour and a half, if that.

The other nice thing is the o-ring seals; no scraping of gaskets, just pull the old parts off and replace with the new ones. You do need a torque wrench with NM/Inch-pounds scale, but that should be in your toolbox anyway.

The exhaust swap is also a piece of cake, another job that won't take you more than an hour. The sound of the KR's is awesome. Nice burble at idle, no drone at cruise and when you get on it, it sounds throaty and aggressive without being too loud. The '10 version of these mufflers are powder coated black and match the rear valance.

The blower looks factory stock:

I had the car professionally detailed as well. It really looks awesome. :cool:

The overall package is fabulous. The power comes on hard and it pulls like a freight train up to the limit. When I get more miles on the car, I'll post some dragstrip results. This car has 3.55's versus the 3.31's in the '08, it seems to rev quicker and feel stronger, but the timeslips will tell the tale there. I hope to be able to get into the high ten's with it as shown in this post.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice Greg! I love the high HP capability simplicity with the newer cars. Not to mention it can stop, turn and ride well.
Thanks... And the '10's are a big improvement over the '07-'09 as far as handling and comfort goes...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ugh, you've got a 2010 GT500, and THOSE are the wheels you're running on? You chose those over the stock wheels? The 2010 GT500 wheels are gorgeous!

Not trying to be a 'hater', but, man, I do NOT like those wheels on that car, at all. 2 sizes too small, and the wheel style is a good decade old.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh, you've got a 2010 GT500, and THOSE are the wheels you're running on? You chose those over the stock wheels? The 2010 GT500 wheels are gorgeous!

Not trying to be a 'hater', but, man, I do NOT like those wheels on that car, at all. 2 sizes too small, and the wheel style is a good decade old.
I do not share your opinion of the gorgeous stock wheels.

The stock wheels are too dark for my tastes. Other people like to go to a totally black wheel. If that works for them, great... I like the contrast between the CCW's and the Kona Blue. It makes the paint stand out.

As for the wheel style being a decade old, that style of wheel (CCW SP-500) was created fairly recently by Complete Custom Wheels. They make them to order for you.
They are also used on the Hennesy GT500's
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/mustang600r.html

I saw them on someone else's GT500 and liked them very much. I did not go with "two sizes larger" because tire sizes are limited, ride quality suffers and more sidewall is better for drag racing, which is what I like to do. I had 20" Imolas on my '05 and did not like the thin sidewalls of the 20" tires.

But anyway, thank you for your opinion. Should you ever decide to get your own Fairmont with a truck motor and body kit, you can keep the gorgeous stock wheels on it. :cool:

By the way... not being a hater, but.... '03 Cobra wheels on a fox body has been done to death, don't ya think?? :angel:

If you did want to be a hater, you could say something like "For what you paid for those ugly "old style" wheels, you could have bought another fox body and still had some change in your pocket!" :eeek:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
You can never go wrong with a simple five spoke design on a Mustang (when sized appropriately, of course). It's design has been around - far longer than a decade, actually - and there's a reason that it's consistently used across wheel manufacturers: it's a timeless design that continues to sell.

I'd actually prefer a larger size on Greg's car also, but I'd still favor them over the stock wheels.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can never go wrong with a simple five spoke design on a Mustang (when sized appropriately, of course). It's design has been around - far longer than a decade, actually - and there's a reason that it's consistently used across wheel manufacturers: it's a timeless design that continues to sell.

I'd actually prefer a larger size on Greg's car also, but I'd still favor them over the stock wheels.
Well, I think also, if the car were lowered it look MUCH better... And I agree actually that "looks" wise, a larger rim would look better. But as stated, I went with an 18" on purpose. 20" tire sizes, especially drag radials, the choices are slim...

·
Registered
447 Posts
.... Fairmont with a truck motor and body kit, ....
STOP THAT! :) The S197 has nothing to do with the Fairmont. It's origins can be traced back to the Lincoln LS. 79-04 Mustangs had connections to the Fairmont...

Beautiful color! I do prefer the stock rims but the rims you chose look good as well...

Time for some Roush rear springs to get the stance right.... ;)

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
STOP THAT! :) The S197 has nothing to do with the Fairmont. It's origins can be traced back to the Lincoln LS. 79-04 Mustangs had connections to the Fairmont...

Beautiful color! I do prefer the stock rims but the rims you chose look good as well...

Time for some Roush rear springs to get the stance right.... ;)
That was just an inside joke with regard to a hater... ;)

On another note... Went to a gathering yesterday at a dyno shop. Had the Fairmont there. 4 different people commented on the wheels.

One says to me "I LOVE those wheels, who makes them?"

I said "funny you mention that, they hate them on The Corral!"

So he says "What did you expect, it's the Corral!!"

:lol:

Someone also said how they hate the ass end. So yea... :idunno:

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greg aren't you, for most intents and purposes, "the Corral".

Time to take out the trash. :)
Oh hell no! This is Chris's baby. I've just been around a LONG time... Corral's like Sesame Street. Lots of characters. I'm Oscar the Grouch... :king:

·
Registered
460 Posts
That was just an inside joke with regard to a hater... ;)

On another note... Went to a gathering yesterday at a dyno shop. Had the Fairmont there. 4 different people commented on the wheels.

One says to me "I LOVE those wheels, who makes them?"

I said "funny you mention that, they hate them on The Corral!"

So he says "What did you expect, it's the Corral!!"

:lol:

Someone also said how they hate the ass end. So yea... :idunno:

Ok, firstly, I guess I've been the butt of some jokes - so be it. I still stand by the fact that the first pic you posted was a bad view of the car, at minimum. That's why I asked why you changed from the stock wheels.

The pic of your car in this quote looks much better, whether you changed anything or not (I'm guessing you lowered it a bit).

My point was that the wheels you put in the pic at the very top looked like some 18's (and I think they were), which are fine if wrapped in proper rubber and the car has the right stance, but I don't think it did in the pic you posted. Sue me. I thought your car, as stock, looked better than the 'new-wheel' pic you posted.

Then, you're going to make fun of me for having a fox with '03 wheels? Ok, so be it. I guess everyone has done 5-lug conversions and ponied-up for true '03 Cobra wheels. Ignore all those mass-produced fakies. Just like my '06 has '10 Cobra wheels and a KB. I'm obviously a cheap bastard :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
The SC swap is very nice!

Before and after dyno would be nice but understand that is not always feasible.

I love the stock GT500 exhaust sound. It is "exotic" if I must say. Do the replacement mufflers retain that with just a higher decibel or is it a different sound?

I prefer the stock wheels however the Kona Blue invokes wood. :eeek:

Maybe send the factory wheels off to get chrome plated? Just a though. :)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
The SC swap is very nice!

Before and after dyno would be nice but understand that is not always feasible.

I love the stock GT500 exhaust sound. It is "exotic" if I must say. Do the replacement mufflers retain that with just a higher decibel or is it a different sound?

I prefer the stock wheels however the Kona Blue invokes wood. :eeek:

Maybe send the factory wheels off to get chrome plated? Just a though. :)
I like the exhaust note as well, but have heard the 2011 models are heavenly. They have an H-pipe while us 2010 cronies got stuck with an X. That makes me SLIGHTLY sad as I prefer the H sound.

Not sure what you mean be "replacement mufflers". The FRPP exhaust?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like the exhaust note as well, but have heard the 2011 models are heavenly. They have an H-pipe while us 2010 cronies got stuck with an X. That makes me SLIGHTLY sad as I prefer the H sound.

Not sure what you mean be "replacement mufflers". The FRPP exhaust?
I am glad we have the x-pipe. :D I prefer it over an H but that is just MHO.

Greg mentioned swapping exhausts with the S/C and was referring to that. Not sure if it is the FRPP or something aftermarket. :)

I cannot wait to hear a 2011 and compare the exhaust note. I would be interested to note the difference.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I am glad we have the x-pipe. :D I prefer it over an H but that is just MHO.

Greg mentioned swapping exhausts with the S/C and was referring to that. Not sure if it is the FRPP or something aftermarket. :)

I cannot wait to hear a 2011 and compare the exhaust note. I would be interested to note the difference.
I think I read previously that Greg has the FRPP exhaust. It's similar to a Magnapack.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts