Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbonetics Releases New 122mm Billet Turbo - we call it the "Baby Killer"

When you think the world of turbos for automotive use is at their biggest, we all get surprised again. Turbonetics has released their new TNX-122, 122 MM turbo. The kit is designed for top tier racing, such as, Pro Mods and really for diesel sled pulling competitions. “Diesels go for the most amount of boost you can possibly fit in an engine”, says Turbonetics Marketing Manager, Tyler Tanaka.

Compared against a Turbonetics T3 turbo

The turbo is capable of producing over 2500 horsepower, while supporting 50-60 PSI. The center section is an all-new billet piece. It allows Turbonetics to build a stronger internal bearing with a new, patented oiling system. Also, the compressor wheel is made from a billet 713C super-alloy. “When you run this much boost on a cast wheel, it can expand from the center and explode.” Tyler remarked. Regardless, make sure small animals are not present while in operation.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
holy mother of god!!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Thats wierd....daily driven cummins push 60+ psi right now with much smaller turbos...like half. 66mm turbos and they get 600-650 hp from them. to make this work on a diesel they have to make it make way over 100psi. I have seen a 1ton Fummins 4x4 push 89psi on a 10.0 sec run. 1000 hp. 60 psi would only piss that motor off.

That thing scares me....it would swallow whole the standard T3 next to it! I have no reason for that....but I want to see one....that would make me :)
Chris

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
um.....well....with enough nitrous to get it spooled! then we may have to look at the bottom of your block and see if it is still there! *L*
Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats wierd....daily driven cummins push 60+ psi right now with much smaller turbos...like half. 66mm turbos and they get 600-650 hp from them. to make this work on a diesel they have to make it make way over 100psi. I have seen a 1ton Fummins 4x4 push 89psi on a 10.0 sec run. 1000 hp. 60 psi would only piss that motor off.
At the same psi that beast is moving a much larger volume of air than a 66mm turbo. To put it into perspective, lets say we have two balls and you want to fill them to 60psi each. One is the size of a bowling ball and the other is the size of a beach ball. Start filling both of them up with air. It takes less air to fill up and reach 60psi in the bowling ball sized one than it does with the beach ball one. If you had to cram all that air from one of those balls into your engine to make the most power, which one would you choose even though they both were filled to 60psi? Beach ball ftmfw.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
At the same psi that beast is moving a much larger volume of air than a 66mm turbo. To put it into perspective, lets say we have two balls and you want to fill them to 60psi each. One is the size of a bowling ball and the other is the size of a beach ball. Start filling both of them up with air. It takes less air to fill up and reach 60psi in the bowling ball sized one than it does with the beach ball one. If you had to cram all that air from one of those balls into your engine to make the most power, which one would you choose even though they both were filled to 60psi? Beach ball ftmfw.
I completely understand about how the larger turbo will move more volume of air, and more efficiently on a particular type of setup. What is also a factor is that the design of the impeller and it's pressure ratio. If the turbo is designed to work in a certain area say around 55-60 psi, it is not going to like 120 psi on a diesel. It will work, most definitely, but different impellers will be needed for it to be more efficient. that is all I was saying when the OP posted that according to the guy at the booth it was for stupid power diesels.

Anyway, that is a scary big turbo. I wonder if any fool will try to put that on a street car. You would need 800ci to spool that without a transbrake! *L*
Chris

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Eh....I've seen bigger. :rolleyes:

That big goober in the photo is not me BTW.:blam:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would love to pull up to tech at the dragstrip with that under the hood. The look on their face when they saw that turbo would be priceless. Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts