Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car isnt running yet but i was debating on throwing a turbo on it. Not anything crazy. My first question is who sells blow through carbs for a turbo? And my bottom end is hyper pistons, eagle i beams, all arp hardware and gt40 heads. Would hyper pistons hold up decent on small amounts of boost? Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hypers aren't the best, but with a good tune they'll hold up. That can't handle any detonation at all....get that tune right and it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would buy some forged pistons but the motor is already toghther and in the car. I was thinking of just getting the turbo on and fine tuned with a low amount of boost and then later on pulling the motor back out and putting some good forged pistons in.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think hypers will be fine. I ran hypers with s-trim blower with close to 400hp. A local buddy of mine dynoed his gt with gt40 heads, hyper pistons, and turbo at 490 hp. i think his boost was around 13 psi. He dogs the crap out of that thing and its been fine for over a year. As with ANY boosted car, get a tune and youll be good to go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ran hypers in a stock 95 long block (blew good motor all over a road course first event of the year) as a back up, pushing 10-12 psi from a t-trim. This car was hillclimbed, so it saw full throttle for periods of a minute straight at times. It held up fine. I kept AF's under 12 to 1 to help the motor live a little longer. As long as your tune is in check as others have said, you will be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI. more info on your setup would be beneficial to further help pick the most efficient turbo for your ride

ie, stock 302? h/c/i? what plans do you have in regards to power? etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts