Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
E

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everyone has stated that a Turbo is easier on the block and rods.
I've been running a supercharger and a 302 stock crankshaft, forged h beams, and a Mexican block. Best et was 10.11 and seen some better 1/8 runs.
Dynoed 500 on both ends 3100lb car.

I am in the middle of the rebuild and wonder if I should reuse this Mexican block. Everyone says the Turbo is easier on the block. I can see it being softer and not create so many harmonics like a high compression engine. Anyone on here running a stock block around 10.0s
I was shifting at 6k with the supercharger and want to keep rpms down as rpms is what kills. Should I run this Mexican hipo block and put more money toward a Turbo kit. I have the novi 1200 sold.
Have big decisions to make. Anyone running a stock block at 600rwhp?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Low 10's and High 9's on a stock block is really close to pushing it. IMO one of the reasons why mine has lasted this long i believe is due to it being still stock bottom end...Stock stroke and pistons. Usually Forged pistons are heavier than the cheapo stockers, Hence less rotating weight. I probably wouldn't bother trying to get the stock block to make more HP then what you already have, Even with being a "Mexican" block.. It is cool though to say at the track that "it's just an old truck motor"...lol..Basically thats what mine is...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought about a forged crank and use the h beams. The supercharger puts tension and twisting on the crank. What's the worst case scenario. Split the block. I'm just seeing who has run a stock or Mexican block down low 10s or high 9s. The block has already proven itself to me. I would back of the boost on the street and turn it up at track. Of course I would have to dump a different map in. Everyone says the Turbo is funner and I'd like to dabble with the on3 kit. I'm a fabricator so fitment issues are no big deal. And I won't whine.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Turbo isn't really easier on the block. Maybe easier in terms of not as much load on the rotating assembly. But in terms of power it's gonna split at around 500 or so

·
Registered
295 Posts
My big heavy junk runs low 10's...I have impressed many being it's nothing special. I'm happy with it however I know it's on borrowed time...lol....I have heard some blocks are capable of going high 9's but its a crap shoot....Yeah I have the on3 kit and love it...I'm a fabricator/machinist too...Fitment issues...dont care..lol. Go for the turbo kit to get your feet wet...Thats what I did now I'm stepping it up this winter...Go for it and have fun...If the block splits youll know what the limit was...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My big heavy junk runs low 10's...I have impressed many being it's nothing special. I'm happy with it however I know it's on borrowed time...lol....I have heard some blocks are capable of going high 9's but its a crap shoot....Yeah I have the on3 kit and love it...I'm a fabricator/machinist too...Fitment issues...dont care..lol. Go for the turbo kit to get your feet wet...Thats what I did now I'm stepping it up this winter...Go for it and have fun...If the block splits youll know what the limit was...
What are you stepping up to?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've been [email protected] with a stock bottom end , e7s, stock cam and a gt40 intake 62mm turbo. The bottom end is out getting freshened up now along with an H/C/I and turbo upgrade. I plan on putting a diaper on it and letting it eat till it splits.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Well I thought about a forged crank and use the h beams. The supercharger puts tension and twisting on the crank. What's the worst case scenario. Split the block. I'm just seeing who has run a stock or Mexican block down low 10s or high 9s. The block has already proven itself to me. I would back of the boost on the street and turn it up at track. Of course I would have to dump a different map in. Everyone says the Turbo is funner and I'd like to dabble with the on3 kit. I'm a fabricator so fitment issues are no big deal. And I won't whine.
Get a internal balanced forged crank and main studs.... Keep the Mexican block

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been [email protected] with a stock bottom end , e7s, stock cam and a gt40 intake 62mm turbo. The bottom end is out getting freshened up now along with an H/C/I and turbo upgrade. I plan on putting a diaper on it and letting it eat till it splits.
So your gonna rebuild it and turn up the boost till it spills/ splits?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Blocks

My combo was a 306 afr 185 heads trick flow stage 2 and a t-trim made 595 rwhp and it split block. I would not go through the trouble it sux it broke everything when it went. If you want to go with a turbo and you are between combos either save for a dart that is what I did witch I understand is not in everyones budget or go 351w. You can buy a nice 351w block for same money and have a nice combo that will hold 600 all day. Plus you have the extra cubes to spool up your turbo quicker its win win.

·
Registered
226 Posts
VERY impressive, that is going to be my exact combo in my coupe. Was that auto or 5spd?

I'm rocking E7's, will be putting studs in it and felpro 9333's. Using stock cam and explorer intake. I hope to be in the 11's, at least. How much boost was you running to see 10's?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
62-1 turbo or something else? Same question as above, how much boost and what fuel? I have a 60-1 I am installing, but stepping up the compressor wheel to a 62-1 is pretty easy fro the local turbo shop.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Mexican block should be fine within reason. With appropriate ARP fasteners, and a main girdle, that block should be good to about 600.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My combo was a 306 afr 185 heads trick flow stage 2 and a t-trim made 595 rwhp and it split block. I would not go through the trouble it sux it broke everything when it went. If you want to go with a turbo and you are between combos either save for a dart that is what I did witch I understand is not in everyones budget or go 351w. You can buy a nice 351w block for same money and have a nice combo that will hold 600 all day. Plus you have the extra cubes to spool up your turbo quicker its win win.
That is what my buddies suggested

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I ran arp bolts a 9333 gaskets , ran into an issue of the car pushing water out. due to what I think was a combo of the head bolts and thin deck of the e7s. boost was roughly 13psi give to take 1 psi or so, it was a turbonetics 62-1, .81ar.

I currently have a small amount tied up between the rebuild and top end, also have a few different turbo sizes to try. Yeah ima push it till it breaks then probally do a 351w based set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brian 15 you said you ran a 10.4 with your setup? What do you think I will run with my setup its almost together now. I have a 308 with forged pistons, forged rods, stock crank, .512 lift cam (F cam), Ported and polished e7's that are ported bigger than Gt40s with lunati springs, 1.6 roller rocker arms, lunati lifters, 42lb injectors, Edelbrock Performer upper and lower intake, CSX Racing turbo kit 60mm, 62mm throttle body, Walbro 255 fuel pump. I have ARP head studs and MLS head gaskets, with good tune wanting to do 15psi but I think 10 will be plenty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts