Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here road race a turbo mustang? even open track days? i know its kinda of a dumb question but im wondering how hot things get and if a turbo car gets unpredictable coming out of the corners.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have 2 turbo mustangs and I can't imagine trying to road race them. The power comes on pretty quick at 3k. Also there is a considerable amount of heat even if you have everything wrapped. I am no expert but I wouldnt be my combo of choice for road race car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm road racing a turbo car, but it's a Thunderbird TurboCoupe. I can't imagine trying to keep a turbo V8 cooled and together. At the LeMons race at Gingerman there was us, a 2.3t Mustang conversion and an XR4Ti (also 2.3t). We were running 9 psi and didn't have any problems. The other 2 were both running 15 psi (the XR4Ti without an intercooler) and both of them blew head gaskets.

steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what im thinking. i started my build thinking i was just going to build a spring struts car but im going deeper and deeper into brakes and suspension. i might end up ditching the turbo kit now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ernesto Roco had a pretty insane turbo setup on his AIX car. I want to say I read they ditched it since it was problematic, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
i think it's possible but would take some creative tuning to take out allt he nasty torque out of the mid range

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would not do it with a non water cooled turbo that is supported of the manifold. But support it & water cool it & I would be (am) tempted.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Paul Faessler from Paul's Automotive Engineering runs a rear mount turbo setup with a 393W stroker using a Dart block. He won the AIX nationals in 2008 at Mid-Ohio. His shop does all my tuning and machine work. I saw this car at Mid-Ohio and on his dyno and let me tell you he is making some very serious power but runs a monster tire/brake setup. His car is a FULLY PREPPED race car though.
http://paulsautomotiveengineering.com/racing.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should have seen Roco's first race with the turbo setup. He almost passed out from heat exhaustion created from the rear mounted turbo. So I would say they get pretty hot.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
why not run a very low spring in the gate which would allow you to make car more managable in the corners and then run an ebc for another stage for the straights? i have pms in my car which automatically compensates for the increase in boost so theoretically you could even try a momentary switch and use the turbo like nitrous via the ebc...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been open tracking my Turbo Mustang on the track with 10 PSI boost for the past 7 years. With 500RWHP, my car is very controllable. It is not an on/off switch as some have implied. Sure, if I floored it, the car would become unstable. So I would not "not put a turbo on" if you are afraid it will be uncontrollable. You do need to have track experience and have a car with suspension and brakes to handle the extra HP.

Now the reason why I may not put a turbo on. HEAT HEAT HEAT. I have spent a lot of time and $$$$$ to try and keep things from melting. If there is anything within a couple inches of the hot pipes it will melt. I have melted clutch cables, sway bar bushings, steering rack boots, hoses. The car would run 1/8 mile passes all day long, but put it on a road coarse for 20 minutes, everything gets hot.

I am still having oil temperature problems, but I an not sure if it is related to the turbo. I did an experiment a couple weeks ago and while driving on the road at 70MPH in 4th gear at 4000RPM, after 10-15 minutes, my oil temperature were climbing past 240 degrees. This is without boost. I have a Griffin radiator with a built in oil cooler and it didn't help at all.

I do enjoy my turbo, I just wish I could keep my oil temps below 270 degrees on the track for a full 20 minutes.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
craig429

what are you using to tune your car with and what timing and a/f do you see under part throttle?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am tuning with a Tweecer (may change to AEM this winter). AFR at part throttle (light load) is 14.7 Closed loop. Timing depends on RPM but it is around a high of 38 degrees. Light load / part throttle timing and AFR is pretty much at stock levels for a J4J1 (Cobra) tune. At WOT 3500 RPM, timing is at 18 degrees (10 lbs of boost).

·
Registered
133 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
does anyone here road race a turbo mustang? even open track days?
Yep, it's a blast. Heat is not a big problem with my setup.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love these vague my #### is bigger than yours hit and run posts.
You noticed that too huh?:rolleyes:

So much for gaining any cooling tips we might not have known about.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts