Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal, I am lookin into a budget build on my fox. Id like a single turbo so I can use it for a test mule for my sct tuning software and my dyno. It is a stock longblock with cobra upper and lower. What would be a good size turbo and also, what make should I look for. I am sure that this has come up before but couldnt find a direct answer. It must be reasonably priced as I am making the payment on the dyno and tuning software. Also, am i better off flipping headers and starting from there or ebay hotside??? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
or a Holset.

I bought mine for $80 not knowing if it needed to be rebuilt but I took it to a Holset-affiliated shop and the shaft was fine and just replaced the seals. I have $100 in a turbo with almost the exact same map as a 62-1.

Mine is an H1E, a H1C is roughly a 60-1, bigger than mine is an H2C (I believe a 66mm).

That is the old stuff (mine is off a 92-94 cummins backhoe) while the later 90s series is labeled HX40, HX45 and HX50.

You can find them all day on ebay for $50-200 with some straight off junk and others being rebuilt.

I just finished mine up and I have $100 in the turbo, $60 for the headers, one $25 bend and some scrap for the hotside, $45 for the v-band, $65 in 3.5" bends for downpipe and a $50 dynomax bullet.

adds out to ~$350

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ok, I see a lot of factory cummins holset turbos off trucks on ebay, is there one of these comparable to a t70? thanks guys
the H2C/HX50 is either a 65mm or a 66mm. I believe the HX55 is at or near the 70 mark.

The problem is they have giant exhaust housings and I am not sure which series they interchange with.

Theres a guy on theturboforums that is very knowledgeable about the holsets (are there are tons of different variations, mine is the largest of 3 different exhaust housings) as he is a turbodiesel guy and has either a giant book or online book of all the part numbers.

From the info I have found, most of the t4 flange holsets can interchange exhaust housings so it should be possible. But there are a ton of different part numbers, so if you are ebay hunting ask for all the measurements.

My H1E compressor wheel is 63mm inducer, exducer is 82mm which is different than 2 of them on there currently and has a 21cm^2 exhaust housing which apparently is a .96 a/r

1 - 5 of 5 Posts