Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 408W with AFR205s, crane gold 1.7 rockers, 10.5CR, forged rotating assembly, and a comp cam XFI236hr-14 camshaft. The cam has a 579\579 236\[email protected] and a 114CL. Cam is too radical for street driving at low speeds so this is why I am thinking about a cam swap and throwing on some boost.

What cam do you guys run on these things with a manual transmission.

Any of you guys taken this path with a car? If so let me know how it worked out, if it was something you regretted?

I'm leaning toward a ON3 kit, doing a cam swap, and installing a Holley HP ecu that I already have purchased.

thanks in advance,

Dogman.....

·
Registered
465 Posts
i had a very similar setup to yours. 408w/AFR 205’s/same exact cam/04 cobra T-56/3.55’s and just placed the order today from FTI for a bigger more radical cam. thought the 236hr was too tame for me lol. 110% street driven and previously tuned by a moates and just purchased a holley efi aswell. didn’t have any street ability issues with my cam and tune. anyways, i’m in the same boat as you wanting to go turbo for more power but that’s in way in the future for me. subscribing to this thread for sure!

·
Registered
465 Posts
i had a very similar setup to yours. 408w/AFR 205’s/same exact cam/04 cobra T-56/3.55’s and just placed the order today from FTI for a bigger more radical cam. thought the 236hr was too tame for me lol. 110% street driven and previously tuned by a moates and just purchased a holley efi aswell. didn’t have any street ability issues with my cam and tune. anyways, i’m in the same boat as you wanting to go turbo for more power but that’s in way in the future for me. subscribing to this thread for sure!
just re-read and noticed you have 1.7's and I have 1.6's. might've made the difference in street ability. not too sure just cant wait for a lopier idle and more powaa

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a 393w that was NA and running great on the street, had a custom cam and made the jump to a twin turbo setup, I recommend going with a custom cam from a well known person, I am running a Pro-M EFI on my car, with that being said here are some of my issues going turbo:

1. Fox engine bays are small, 351w
based kits really enhance that, be prepared to clearance, cut, hammer and hack your way to make things fit.

2. Turbos work better with automatics, I sold my A5 and picked up a 4R70w, its full manual shift and looking forward to driving it.

3. You'll definitely want to run E85 with your compression ratio, I'm at 9.9-1

4. Heat is always an issue with Turbos on a car that wasn't designed to have a Turbo, be prepared to address this during the build not after, of something's close, shield it, cover it or re-route it.

5. Hope you have deep pockets...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts