Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a set of custom turbo headers for a friend and have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to buy 2" v-band clamps?
2. Anyone using Band clamps instead of v-band clamps?
3. Gonna be using a stick welder to weld on low heat and thinking a 6011 1/16" rod is what I'm gonna use, opinions on this??
4. What gague steel would be the best to use? Thinking 16g would be perfect to use a stick on. If not, what gague should I get and where from?

I have a mig at work but I dont really want to pack things up and toat them to and from when I got a real nice arch welder here at home.

If there is anything some one wants to bring up, please feel free.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know where I can buy 2.0" v band clamps? I know ebay has them, but dont want to pay 30 a peice if they are cheap clamps and are gonna break after a few months.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I buy all my v-band kits and couplers from Race Part Solutions. Darin and John are great guys, cant say enough good about them. They carry a good product for a good price.

As far a stick welding a turbo kit together, I say go for it if you are that good with the stick welder. Personally, I only use stick for real heavy gauge stuff. I think the time you will save using a mig will make it worth the extra pain of packing the mig stuff up.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
1.75" & 2" V bands are hard to come by. I couldn't find any when I bought parts for my car. I ended up with a 1.75" Marman clamp for my wastegate routing. Not nearly as nice as a V band clamp. But worked none the less.

Check these guys out. They have a lot of stuff other places do not have. But you pay a premium for the stuff.

Buy every thing else from Race Parts Solutions. You will be very glad you did. They sponsor a well known turbo site that they offer a 10% discount to it's members. *cough* The Turbo Forums dot com *cough*

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas!!

Yeah, ordered some 6011 3/32 rods yesterday cause I couldnt find any local. I stick weld everyday, so I should roll on with it at the house. Practiced today at work with some 7018 1/16 rods on 80* on some 1/8th" plate and laid down a decent bead. I've always had trouble welding with the 7018's under 100* but was surprised I did so well. The 6011's are about the easiest rod imo to weld with, so hopefully I wont have much trouble with a 3/32", which I've never used before:/

And dammm, v band clamps are outregeous:eeek:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, But when you look at two & three bolt or ball and socket flanges there is no comparison. You will be very happy with a quality V band. And not all v bands are created equal either.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What v-bands are the best then?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, But when you look at two & three bolt or ball and socket flanges there is no comparison. You will be very happy with a quality V band. And not all v bands are created equal either.
Well, I see just about everyone running them so theres got to be smoething about them.

And this project is going to someone else who's money is paying for it, so it's got to be top notch and not just thrown together with half ass parts like I'd do with my car,lol:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
X2 on RPS. Great company. Also for your 2"v bands, try turbonetics. My newgen waste gate uses 2" V band clamps supplied by Tnetics.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
698 Posts
Race Part Solutions, Vibrant Performance, Columbia River mandrel bending...the list goes on. I would suggest using the mig or tig over the stick welder though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually just bought a lincoln 140 for my home. Thinking about taking it back for the 125 unit. Dont really think i'm gonna need to use the gas for anything.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered ss vband clamps by mistake. Can I weld these without gas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts