Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here turbo'd a v6 on the 2011 generation?

I'm looking at a mustang convertible for a toy in the 2011 to 2014 range.
The GT's and up really retain their value, and are out of my price range. Although, a v6 convertible is not expensive, and adding a turbo would be lots of fun.

I want a kit (at a minimum, turbo headers, turbo mount).
I see Limitless performance has a full kit, but I've never seen anyone use it. 2011-2014 Mustang v6 3.7 Turbo Kit.
Hellion had a kit, but it looks like its been discontinued. https://lmr.com/item/HPS-1113V6/2011-2013-Mustang-V6-Hellion-Single-Turbocharger-Kit

I'd love to have a pre-fabbed intercooler, although, I would explore making something myself if necessary) I'm not a welder, and want to be able to bolt something together.
I have no issue with towing the car to an exhaust shop to have the final downpipe exhaust completed.

I also have no issue with tuning, I currently tune SCT on my Exploder, so I am familiar with that side of it.

So, why don't more people turbo these v6's? There's more room in the engine bay, and I'd think they could make great power. Is it the lack of low end torque on a v6? Does the bottom end break?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'm going to bet that sales of 3.7 V6 turbo systems are low, really low volume deals. The average person that can swing buying a car and then a $4000-6000 turbo system will just buy the V8 car to start with. Insurance is pretty much a wash so it comes down to the purchase of the car.

Image is an issue for the V6. It's a great engine. But it's seen as a "girls" engine or a fleet engine. The 5.0 and the Ecoboost are seen as performance engines.

The results of the 3.7 with turbo(s) were respectable. 440hp/400tq to the wheels from the Hellion system. That's like 520hp and 470 foot-pounds crank. Around 10psi.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, great to know.

I'm seeing 2011 convertibles for close to $27,000 while a v6 seems to be under $15,000. That's what made me start thinking.

$15,000 + $10,000 realistically (After all the incidentals) = $25,000 If its a toy, I enjoy the installation and tuning part of things.

I just might go down this road, as I would still end up with an extremely fast convertible. Great for a summer street car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts