Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions for you seasoned turbo people out there. I'm not sure what I will be putting a turbo on, but I have a carbureted 347 (no intentions on going fuel injected) that I am really considering trying out.

I am very new to the forced induction side of things. So my question is what do you all use to retard timing during boost? I've looked at some MSD boxes but I am really unsure on what to choose.

My other question is what cam specs are ideal for a turbo'd motor? I have always thought that they would need a wider lobe separation but I have heard otherwise. The cam I have in it right now is 241/247 duration @ .050" with a 110* LSA. Would this work?

Any insight or knowledge is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If staying carbureted, you'll want to either modify your carb for blowthrough or send your carb off to a blowthrough company for modification/setup. This is imperative unless you use one of those vortech carb boxes or whatever they're called.

For timing, you'll want to pick up an MSD 6BTM which will allow you to pull a certain amount of timing per lb of boost created.

As for cam specs, I'm not a guru (yet? :D ) but i know you don't want overlap.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A plain old "F" cam will work great, heck the stock cam will make enough power to trash a stock block. Msd has a programmable ignition for boosted engines, pn#6530. Provides an actual timing curve with built in boost retard. On the carb, I just decided to leave that for a pro, it may cost you $500 to get it converted, but the support during tuning is worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts