Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out whats wrong with my car. Its an 88 mustang gt 306 speed density car. I just installed a custom 66mm turbo kit. I finally finished it and took it around the block and it smoked blue outta the exhaust. I took the piping and exhaust off the turbo to see if there was any oil in them and there was nothing. Just the turbo was a lil black from when it was used before. Any suggestions on what to look for? Or is it blown turbo seals? Anything i should check before i just take the turbo off and rebuild?

Any help would be greatly appreciated im new to this turbo mustang stuff

·
Registered
107 Posts
How bad is it smoking? I fixed what I thought was simple w a baffled grommet and my problem went away for about a week before it finally started pouring smoke out of the head. Check your compression and plugs. PCV is often a common fix but also a misconception for deeper issue which you don't want to ignore or risk. There's a million ways to setup the PCV is why he says to search.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya im gona try doing something soon with that. only other thing i could see it being is the turbo. that motor never smoked or leaked a drop of oil before i put the kit on and the car hasnt even seen a mile with the turbo kit and it smoked right away goin down the road

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Make sure your turbo drain line is not kinked, and it is a straight shot to the oil pan. Any odd dips or twists can make the turbo not drain properly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ya im gona try doing something soon with that. only other thing i could see it being is the turbo. that motor never smoked or leaked a drop of oil before i put the kit on and the car hasnt even seen a mile with the turbo kit and it smoked right away goin down the road
Well you got several easy checks, PCV, plugs, drain line path, and looking into turbo housing to check for oil and coking.

Just becuase it was just rebuilt doesn't mean a ring or valve seal is bad that could be the cause, just speaking from exp...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for this very very simple comment, but, Ive seen it in the past that the type of oil and more importantly the viscosity of the oil used can get past the seals and give you blue smoke. Lets ask the guys here who have more experience with turbos, what grades and weights of oil they use. I was told to run heavier grades like 20-40W or straight 40 weight. Is this a basic street car or drag car. Im sure the answer will depend a lot on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts