Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys iam going to go get my turbo 89 5.0 Lx tuned this week and I was wondering how much Power is gonna be safe on this car? Iam not going to be daily driving it or anything but I would like over 450rwhp.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am putting down 501 at the rearwheels with a safe tune, afr was at 11.4.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you don't have detonation, you won't have destruction. So, run low boost, or high octane, and get a nice safe tune. Horsepower doesn't kill engines (within limits), detonation kills engines.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you don't have detonation, you won't have destruction. So, run low boost, or high octane, and get a nice safe tune. Horsepower doesn't kill engines (within limits), detonation kills engines.
X2 .You gotta have a GOOD air/fuel meter I been running my combo for five years 511rwhp.622 ft. lbs.rw torque it can be done , SonicFox is right.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Even with a good air/fuel mixture and no detonation he’s going to be on borrowed time. The rpms along with high loads are the killers for these blocks (not detonation). He could be good for month…a year or 5, it’s a crap shoot. The amount he punishes it is most likely going to determine how long it lasts. A car that sees the dragstrip a weekend a month and is driven only when the sun shines on the weekend could last 10 years with the stock block….while one that is driven daily and get’s WOT runs on the freeway may only last 6 months.
Even with a good air/fuel mixture and no detonation he’s going to be on borrowed time. The rpms along with high loads are the killers for these blocks (not detonation). He could be good for month…a year or 5, it’s a crap shoot. The amount he punishes it is most likely going to determine how long it lasts. A car that sees the dragstrip a weekend a month and is driven only when the sun shines on the weekend could last 10 years with the stock block….while one that is driven daily and get’s WOT runs on the freeway may only last 6 months.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You don't need a lot of power to run good. I only made 437/500 with my car on 9lbs and I run the numbers in the sig.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You don't need a lot of power to run good. I only made 437/500 with my car on 9lbs and I run the numbers in the sig.
This is what I love about the fox mustangs... it takes 550+ to run that with a 03 Cobra

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you do a top and bottom girdle on your block, you can take it to 600...

:eeek:

Ummm…..I couldn’t disagree more. Not only is a top girdle a pointless endeavor….but a main girdle is only going to give you the possibility of keeping the crank and pistons from exiting stage left through the block. Neither does a damn thing for block strength….and the top is completely worthless.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Horsepower alone will not break the block. The problem is that your margin of error is reduced. If you have a solid block, and forged internals, you can push it quite a bit, and the motor will survive some detonation. But, if you have a stock bottom end, the safety net isn't there. However, that DOES NOT mean that the horsepower is what does the damage. It will still, undoubtedly, be detonation. If you're beating the crap out of the car and doing high gear pull after high gear pull on the freeway, yes, you're likely going to break something because you're putting the engine through high loads, and building a lot of heat. You're making the engine more likely to detonate. Driving it daily shouldn't be a problem. Now, if it's abused every time it goes somewhere... that's another issue.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Horsepower alone will not break the block. The problem is that your margin of error is reduced. If you have a solid block, and forged internals, you can push it quite a bit, and the motor will survive some detonation. But, if you have a stock bottom end, the safety net isn't there. However, that DOES NOT mean that the horsepower is what does the damage. It will still, undoubtedly, be detonation. If you're beating the crap out of the car and doing high gear pull after high gear pull on the freeway, yes, you're likely going to break something because you're putting the engine through high loads, and building a lot of heat. You're making the engine more likely to detonate. Driving it daily shouldn't be a problem. Now, if it's abused every time it goes somewhere... that's another issue.
Yes, detonatin can be the culprit...but more often times than not it IS the amount of horsepower and torque along with RPMS that lead to block failure. The loads put on the main webbing from the increased cylinder pressure (directly related to the higher horsepower and torque) is simply too much for the block to handle. RPM's can also be a huge factor in block failures...as even in N/A form, it's possible to slpit a stock block in two (without detonation).

As for the internals, the stockers have been proven time and time again to be more than adequate for the stock block to handle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Detonation does not directly cause a broken engine block. Horsepower is heat and preassure that (pressure mostly) is what breaks blocks. Obviously there are other limitless things that can happen, but the question was about power production.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts