Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Is a good free flowing straight through muffler that doesn't rob power, im currently running flowmaster 50 series mufflers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mkrantz1106 – What is it that you don’t like about your Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers? Straight through mufflers don’t necessarily flow better than Flowmaster mufflers.

Just because the Flowmaster isn’t a straight through muffler, doesn’t mean it robs power. It does quite the opposite. The internal design of a Flowmaster muffler manipulates exhaust pulses that come from the exhaust valves opening and closing. The design actually increases flow that actually increases velocity through the muffler. There’s a lot of science that goes into the internal design of a Flowmaster muffler to make it outperform other mufflers on the market.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Mkrantz1106 – What is it that you don’t like about your Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers? Straight through mufflers don’t necessarily flow better than Flowmaster mufflers.

Just because the Flowmaster isn’t a straight through muffler, doesn’t mean it robs power. It does quite the opposite. The internal design of a Flowmaster muffler manipulates exhaust pulses that come from the exhaust valves opening and closing. The design actually increases flow that actually increases velocity through the muffler. There’s a lot of science that goes into the internal design of a Flowmaster muffler to make it outperform other mufflers on the market.

Sounds good. But...

http://www.turbomustangs.com/mufflerswap.php

It's widely known/told that flows hurt power on turbo cars.

Not true? Throw out your pictures/theory and show proof.

Dyno/track comparisons between your muffler and competitors on the same car. Post results. Make it public. Video it.

If what u claim is true then it should've been done. People love the flowmaster sound. EVERY single forum has people posting they don't flow. They lose power.

Posting the sales brochure won't change that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah flowmaster is just trying to back up there product on this one.

Run a magnaflow- dynoma ultra flow- borla xr1- pypes race pro

All of those are good sounding quieter straight threw designs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah flowmaster is just trying to back up there product on this one.

Run a magnaflow- dynoma ultra flow- borla xr1- pypes race pro

All of those are good sounding quieter straight threw designs

To get the best performance out of a chambered Flowmaster in a Turbo application, you need to upsize the muffler diameter .5”. This makes up for the changes the turbo makes in the exhaust pulses.

These Pro-Series mufflers have proven to be awesome performers in Turbo applications.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bet the flowmaster outlaw would work well since it's like a straight three dyno max bullet but would be very loud.

That hushpower may work well too in a half size larger . I wonder if
The hushpower I'd a straight threw or a swirl style like Moroso spiral flows

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sounds good. But...

The Turbo Forums.com

It's widely known/told that flows hurt power on turbo cars.

Not true? Throw out your pictures/theory and show proof.

Dyno/track comparisons between your muffler and competitors on the same car. Post results. Make it public. Video it.

If what u claim is true then it should've been done. People love the flowmaster sound. EVERY single forum has people posting they don't flow. They lose power.

Posting the sales brochure won't change that!

I clicked your link and found this:

"The current exhaust consisted of some really, really old 2.5" flowmasters circa 1991. Apparently that is all that was installed because it looks like the tailpipes are still stock 2.25" units."

The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both. Check out this pic from the thread. Whoever installed the flowmasters did a terrible job:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am no flowmaster fan but this guy's results don't prove anything. If you want to know for sure you'd need to dyno the car, swap mufflers and nothing else, dyno the car again.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
To get the best performance out of a chambered Flowmaster in a Turbo application, you need to upsize the muffler diameter .5”. This makes up for the changes the turbo makes in the exhaust pulses.

These Pro-Series mufflers have proven to be awesome performers in Turbo applications.

Interesting first post.

I have heard the "half inch" rule before but have not seen it proven. (more reason flowmaster should publish proof)

I personally find it hard to believe that is the flow restriction on the mufflers. A 2.5" pipe that's 5" long can flow a ton. How is bumping that up to 3" helping if the system isn't using all of that 2.5" flow?

Just don't see on identical systems...same size mufflers....that section of pipe on each side u are increasing is probably a total length of maybe 12". That means the 5 ft of pipe in front of the mufflers flows more than those 2 small sections. The point of restriction comes from the mufflers guts....

I'm just guessing and thinking outloud. Again. Flowmaster has a ton to gain by proving themselves....yet it is all u hear on forums....they don't flow.

I bet the flowmaster outlaw would work well since it's like a straight three dyno max bullet but would be very loud.

That hushpower may work well too in a half size larger . I wonder if
The hushpower I'd a straight threw or a swirl style like Moroso spiral flows
The outlaw is just another bullet. Flowmasters big seller is their classic sound. The outlaw doesn't sound like like that. But. It will not rob power like u said.

Hushpower has a weird centersection. Has perforated cones or something....supposed to redirect sound waves or something. The exhaust has hurdles in it's path so it must be limited compared to straight thru mufflers.

One day I'll test em all! Lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both.
I completely agree. If it had the stock flow tubes and tails on. Those things are dented and kinked to ####. That could make a difference in it self. I infact just switched out my stock pipes that surrounded my mufflers for 2.5" madrel bent pipes. Im also going to the dyno on October 15th for a club dyno days. so I be running the same as before with only a piping change. We will see then if it makes a difference. But this does nothing for the fact of Flowmaster VS other brands on turbo setups. That's why all Flowmaster would have to do is front me a catback kit with a upsized chambered mufflers and hushpower mufflers along with some dyno cash. Then I'll dyno test and document the difference in results back to them and all over the forums. Don't get me wrong I would love to run some Flows on my car, but I too was one of many who made the change to a straight though design when switching to turbo. I currently run Pypes Race Pros.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I clicked your link and found this:

"The current exhaust consisted of some really, really old 2.5" flowmasters circa 1991. Apparently that is all that was installed because it looks like the tailpipes are still stock 2.25" units."

The power gain could have been a result of the change to 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust/tail pipes, the new mufflers or a combination of them both. Check out this pic from the thread. Whoever installed the flowmasters did a terrible job:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am no flowmaster fan but this guy's results don't prove anything. If you want to know for sure you'd need to dyno the car, swap mufflers and nothing else, dyno the car again.
Good point. :salute:

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I have 3 chambered Flowmasters on my TT notch and like them. You always hear that "flowmasters suck for turbos" but I never felt like my car is down on power with this setup (stockish motor-GT40ps, edelbrock peformere intake, all smog intact: 420/502 at 10 psi). That being said, I am running a 2.25 catted H-pipe into a 2.5 inch Flowmaster catback. It sounds really mellow but nice. I inherited the system when I got the car as a 4 cyl project. The fit is way way better than the brand new pypes system I got for my 97.
It would be interesting to see if the notch picked up power with different mufflers but somehow I doubt it.
I would like to hear more from the flowmaster rep. It is in their interest to dispell this myth if it is one....
Erich

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with Dynomax ultra flows on my build. Pretty quiet. I was running Mac flowpaths on my old NA set up and was ready for a change. It's nice to be able to have a converstaion in the car and be able to hear for once lol.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have 3 chambered Flowmasters on my TT notch and like them. You always hear that "flowmasters suck for turbos" but I never felt like my car is down on power with this setup (stockish motor-GT40ps, edelbrock peformere intake, all smog intact: 420/502 at 10 psi). That being said, I am running a 2.25 catted H-pipe into a 2.5 inch Flowmaster catback. It sounds really mellow but nice. I inherited the system when I got the car as a 4 cyl project. The fit is way way better than the brand new pypes system I got for my 97.
It would be interesting to see if the notch picked up power with different mufflers but somehow I doubt it.
I would like to hear more from the flowmaster rep. It is in their interest to dispell this myth if it is one....
Erich
A post in this thread would be a great start

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/turbo-cobras-247/556373-why-do-i-see-so-many-flowmasters-turbo-mustangs.html

I actually hate the straight thru muffler sound. So I'd really love to hear chambered mufflers do not hold back that much power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts