Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if MPG could be increased with a properly sized turbo.

Obviously the fuel system would have to be dialed in tightly too, but does anyone have experience with turbo'd 5.0L that have acheived better MPG ?

This wouldn't be an all out H.P. quest type application...more of a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Probably not unless you made the actual engine smaller or more efficient somehow.

I mean, if it's turbocharged you're either, 1) burning more fuel in boost, 2) have a huge exhaust restriction (turbine housing) or 3) intake restriction (breathing through the turbo).

I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
just like mentioned, turbo will require more fuel when in boost. it can be tuned to get just as good mpg during non boost.

you build a little motor for good mpg and add the turbo for the extra grunt when needed.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I picked up about 2-5 MPG when I added mine. ONLY if I stay out of it lol
On the highway (road trips) is where I noticed the most increase.

Oh and this is with NO tune

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I picked up about 2-5 MPG when I added mine. ONLY if I stay out of it lol
On the highway (road trips) is where I noticed the most increase.

Oh and this is with NO tune
highly doubt thats from the turbo and more from your meter runnining leaner at cruise than previous meter.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
highly doubt thats from the turbo and more from your meter runnining leaner at cruise than previous meter.
it very well could be but my old maf was way further off then this one lol old one ran a Air/Fuel ratio of 14.1 at WOT and even leaner at cruise lol

I just know the same exact car/motor got 19 mpg on a trip to chicago when N/A and got 24 a few weeks ago on the exact same trip. I guess it could be many reasons why, like running 93 now vs 87 oct, tires pressure ect ect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like stated before... more air(boost) more fuel... more fuel= less economical... if you figure that one out please give me the heads up... Cause im sick and tired of buying premium already and i just got on the road 4 weeks ago....lol

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
yes a turbo can give better gas mileage. Obviously not while in boost, but while cruising the turbo is more efficient than running n/a. Turbos are load dependant. Just think your driving up a hill it takes 3/4 throttle to keep the car at the same speed as when you were driving with 1/2 throttle on flat land. With turbo you dont have to give it any more throttle because the extra load will only make the turbo spin faster and keep the car moving without having to open the throttle any more (depending on the gear). To get the best gas mileage you need to drive with the throttle steady and keep the engine in its most efficient rpm level. Other than that you cant do much besides get a 4 cylinder rice patty...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts