Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my motor has to come out again to change head gaskets and most likely head studs as well. I made low 500s before but I want upper 500s this time around. Since the heads to need to come off and be checked anyways, I was thinking of just doing turbo cams and keeping my 62mm turbo for spooling purposes. Thoughts? Thanks...

·
Registered
806 Posts
You already know!

Get the cams for what head and turbo your running.

PERIOD!!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
there must be a reason why you blew your head gaskets and so changing the cam and/or turbo won't solve that problem. pk's $0.02

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My .02, if you do cams, do a mild stg 1 turbo cam or something if you only want upper 500s.

No sense in over camming it with such a low goal...sounds like you could get there with a few more PSI of boost.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My .02, if you do cams, do a mild stg 1 turbo cam or something if you only want upper 500s.

No sense in over camming it with such a low goal...sounds like you could get there with a few more PSI of boost.
Maybe, but the 62mm turbonetics was pushing about all it had when I had it on the dyno last and 14-14.5 PSI is all it would make for whatever reason. I know a 67mm precision(EXPENSIVE!) or something like a 72mm turbonetics could also get me there, but I don't wanna trade power for lag. From what I've seen in the 2V world, people usually stick with either MMR or MHS turbo cams, would a stage I even be worth the money? I was thinking stage IIs....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Maybe, but the 62mm turbonetics was pushing about all it had when I had it on the dyno last and 14-14.5 PSI is all it would make for whatever reason. I know a 67mm precision(EXPENSIVE!) or something like a 72mm turbonetics could also get me there, but I don't wanna trade power for lag. From what I've seen in the 2V world, people usually stick with either MMR or MHS turbo cams, would a stage I even be worth the money? I was thinking stage IIs....
Yea, that would probably be the better way to go...maybe try some stg 2 cams and see how it responds and go from there.

Thats wild that the turbo would only make 14 psi though....how is the waste gate setup?

Springs or boost controller?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
going with a bigger turbo = more lag.....on the same setup with no other changes
on the 62-70mm setups there basically is no lag from what ive been able to tell. i had a 62-1 and it ran out quickly. it made good power but theres potential for alot more power with the 67 and that extra power will more than make up for any lag

·
Registered
608 Posts
I know nothing about mod motors buy what about the turbonetics t66. It's under a grand if you wanna try out a bigger turbo. I know alot of people like the t60s series in mild cars

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I know nothing about mod motors buy what about the turbonetics t66. It's under a grand if you wanna try out a bigger turbo. I know alot of people like the t60s series in mild cars
Thanks for the tip, I'll do some research on it...

EDIT:

Are you speaking of the turbos being sold in this thread? Hurricane series?

CLICK ME!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts