Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76mm on3 turbo. Runs great but I wonder if switching to a similarly sized turbonetics, precision, etc would be beneficial. Would just swapping my on3 with another brand yield anything noticeable?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Going from the 70mm On3 to a Master Power 70mm made enough of a difference that I had to get retuned. Think it was 15/25 difference

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Reactions: butta

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Need to know what your combo is and what your goals are...If you are looking for a marked power improvement and your motor/block can handle it, a properly sized Turbonetics or Precision 76mm turbo will run circles around your On3 76mm for sure! I ran 8.80s with a single Precision 76mm on a 331 ci SBF at 3400 lb race weight and full exhaust with tailpipes. I highly doubt the On3 turbo would have even come close. If you are not looking for a big power increase, spending the money on a better turbo may not be worth it. You may be able to pick up some power just by changing your exhaust housing AR...for example jumping up from a .68 to a .81 or a .96 could give you more peak horsepower, but at the cost of bottom end torque and a bit more lag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need to know what your combo is and what your goals are...If you are looking for a marked power improvement and your motor/block can handle it, a properly sized Turbonetics or Precision 76mm turbo will run circles around your On3 76mm for sure! I ran 8.80s with a single Precision 76mm on a 331 ci SBF at 3400 lb race weight and full exhaust with tailpipes. I highly doubt the On3 turbo would have even come close. If you are not looking for a big power increase, spending the money on a better turbo may not be worth it. You may be able to pick up some power just by changing your exhaust housing AR...for example jumping up from a .68 to a .81 or a .96 could give you more peak horsepower, but at the cost of bottom end torque and a bit more lag.
Understood. I have a 347 boss block, afr heads. I'm only running about 8lbs of boost right now. I think it dyno'd at 500 something at that boost level. I really don't have any complaints but I'm getting close to it being "done" (at the bodyshop now) and I'm not sure I'm ready for that. So I'm looking for things to upgrade. Ha!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The on3, CX racing, and the ebay Chinese are just a copy of some name brand turbo. Material quality is a big issue, aluminum isn't just aluminum when it comes to turbo components, different grades need to be used for different parts such as impeller or housings. Same goes for the inconel material for the turbine wheel and shaft, same goes for the piston ring and bearing materials. Next is machine process, tolerances and blade profile. I've seen Chinese billet S475 wheels measure almost 2mm smaller than an original Borg Warner compressor wheel, all while boasting HP increases over the OEM cast wheel. Will the 73mm wheel work in the s475 housing? Sure, it will work, it will make boost. It will however have poor efficiency and produce more heat compared to a true Borg Warner.
"For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit."
The counterfeit usually gets busted. So yes, there is power to be gained by ditching the Chinese units for name brand. I dont care for the tech support of Turbonetics, but they make a great turbo.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I thought on3 used master power turbos back in the day then went to the direct brazilian manufacturer?

I myself prefer my borg warners, authentic that is no knock offs as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Borg Warner is my preferred brand as well. The S300 and S400 series being my favorites, simple, durable, and versatile.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I thought on3 used master power turbos back in the day then went to the direct brazilian manufacturer?

I myself prefer my borg warners, authentic that is no knock offs as mentioned.
I don't know what On3 did before. So the current On3 turbos are from MP?My turbo is the upgraded MP branded unit. I'd like a BW, but don't have the budget with my Lightning build

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i have no idea what on3 is doing these days but i do know back in the day people would swap mp housings on the on3 turbos and they were a direct fit

Reactions: MVK13
1 - 9 of 9 Posts