Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planing on putting a turbo on my car and I need a little advice. I dont know my compression ratio or if its a good idea to run a turbo. If it sounds safe, what would you guys reccomend.I have a rebuilt 302 with 303 cam, vic jr intake stock heads 1.6rockers and 650 edlebrock carb.

·
Registered
35,192 Posts
The stock thin walled castings (block) aren't robust. Cap walk eventually leads to cracking/splitting of the block right down the middle. This occurs with lots of revs or when significant amounts of boost are applied. I'm pretty conservative - but I wouldn't add boost unless I was starting with an aftermarket (Dart) block.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive heard about the bottom internals being solid and that the block could crack. Is there a certain amount of boost that can be ran to prevent this.i wasnt tryin to go crazy

·
Registered
186 Posts
its a headeache I want to shoot my car and light it on fire often...I have a stock bottom and run 8# boost netting close to 500RWHP, it depends on the car the supporting mods what power you will make at a certain amount of boost, no two cars are the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol its just a weekend summer car I can deal with wanting to light it on fire.i just dont wanna blow the motor

·
Registered
802 Posts
turbo

It would be good to know what your compression ratio is. I would check out turbforums.com there is a ton good information and alot of guys that know what there doing. Personally micheal is a good guy but there is no reason run a dart block right away it is nice upgrade but that is #### ton of money you can run low boost and stay south 550 and keep the engine together for awhile if you get a good tune and don't get greedy. Not easy to do but if you want to drive it and not work on that is what you have to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I deffinately will check out that website. Im not trying to go nuts with boost.thanls alot to everyone I appreciate the help

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You can run 500+ rwhp on a stock block. I did it for about 4k miles. Just be aware that it is a ticking time bomb and will eventually crack without warning. It all depends on how hard you are on everything. Your stock transmission will give up before the block does.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You can run 500+ rwhp on a stock block. I did it for about 4k miles. Just be aware that it is a ticking time bomb and will eventually crack without warning. It all depends on how hard you are on everything. Your stock transmission will give up before the block does.
Alot of people run the stock blocks around or at 500rwhp....some last for a couple hours or some last for a couple thousand miles....as long as you dont think its going to last you forever you will be straight.....Just dont beat it too hard and have the mindset of eventually having to replace some things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was thinkin on running around 8lbs not sure whats a safe amount. i was a bulls eye turbo s472 66mm would be good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts