Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently finished building a 5.0 with gt40p heads, explorer intake, and tfs stage 1 cam. The gain was decent but I got a bug up my ass and have decided i need a turbo. After looking around a little bit, it seems the mp 70 turbo is a good way to go. But i have not found information specific to my setup. I am looking to get 400rwhp, my compression ratio should be about 9.5:1. Now, what kind of boost can i safely run like this? Hopefully enough to reach my goal, with a little to spare, for later. I am totally new to turbos and plan to install it with a buddy, so any other pointers/info would be great.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I hopefully will be in the 425-450 range with the following setup.

Stock block 77k miles, GT40 heads, MSD dig 6, Precision 67mm pushing 9lbs, 60lb inj, 3:55 gears, with stock T5.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yes, just had them milled yesterday .008 I have been meaning to check into where that bumps my compression ratio? I ordered the quicktime kit. Should be running shortly (month or two). I would think with your combo you would easily see 400 to the wheels.

Make sure you let whoever you buy a kit from know your running GT40P heads, I almost bought some recently. It's a good thing a did some research cause they wouldnt work with my kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for an auto or manual? I realize the turbo builds boost when the engine has to work but is it really necessary to get gears that high?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
3:55 gears are too low for a turbo engine. It will be hard to spool up the turbo and it will run out of steam up top. You shouldn't go lower than 3:26 gears.
3.27's work quite well with a 26" dia. tire...and 3.55's with a 28" tire. Now there is no "right" combination hear....and the spool difference between the two given the same tire is likely to be indistinguishable.

Keep in mind though that the 3.55’s might put him in is power band for more of the run…which may be worth more than the small difference in spool. The 3.27’s however will give him a bit more room to grow….as 3.55’s with a 26” tire are only good for ~ 130mph in the ¼ @ 6000rpm. If he's running a stock block....he's going to want to stay away from 6000rpm at the end of the 1/4.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about 3.73s with a T-5 on ~25" tires? Turbo will probably be a MP t70. This car will be purely for the street, not worried about trap speed.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
What about 3.73s with a T-5 on ~25" tires? Turbo will probably be a MP t70. This car will be purely for the street, not worried about trap speed.
I'd stick with 3.27's then....especially considering your running a 25" tire!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well i still got the stock pony's and don't like sidewall. I may have to get some larger wheels/tires if my rear doesn't hold in 3rd.

btw, does anyone know any kits with headers that fit the gt40p heads?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hey guys i got a question about tuning, can't seem to find an answer. If i throw this turbo at my A9l, will a shop be able to tune it for me without any other computer hardware?

I am hearing about investing in a megasquirt or tweecer if you plan on changing your setup, but all i see myself doing is adjusting the boost, does this require a new tune?

I also am hearing about problems on the first start up, where the car won't run right. Now if i got a base tune before the install at a shop, would that same tune work fine w/o the boost to get me home?

I am really lost on how to tune this thing, don't want to end up paying $800 to get the thing running after throwing down a couple grand on the turbo install itself.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
well i still got the stock pony's and don't like sidewall. I may have to get some larger wheels/tires if my rear doesn't hold in 3rd.

btw, does anyone know any kits with headers that fit the gt40p heads?
Check out B&G, I do believe theirs clears the gt40p heads.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
hey guys i got a question about tuning, can't seem to find an answer. If i through this turbo at my A9l, will shop be able to tune it for me without any other computer hardware?

I am hearing about investing in a megasquirt or tweecer if you plan on changing your setup, but all i see myself doing is adjusting the boost, does this require a new tune?

I also am hearing about problems on the first start up, where the car won't run right. Now if i got a base tune before the install at a shop, would that same tune work fine w/o the boost to get me home?

I am really lost on how to tune this thing, don't want to end up paying $800 to get the thing running after throwing down a couple grand on the turbo install itself.
If you get it tuned through a shop, they are going to install an aftermarket chip in the stock computer. Many chips have the extra option of having multiple tunes on the same chip (different boost levels would be an option with them).

If you decide to go with a megasquirt, You will tune your max boost level you plan on running and everything below. There will be no need to have any type of flip chip or multiple tunes....as everything is taken care of in one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at the MS and it is pretty affordable. Is it possible to tune a motor with a MS as well as a dyno tuning with custom chip? i'm sure the MS is difficult to use, could probably borrow someone elses settings though for a similar setup. any good info on installing these things on a stock efi 5.0?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I was looking at the MS and it is pretty affordable. Is it possible to tune a motor with a MS as well as a dyno tuning with custom chip? i'm sure the MS is difficult to use, could probably borrow someone elses settings though for a similar setup. any good info on installing these things on a stock efi 5.0?
There is no point of doing both...as it would be a waste of time and money. You either get a custom chip, or tune with the megasquirt.

As for setup, take a look here... http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_ford_mustang.htm and here... http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirting_your_ford_with_the_MegaEFI_EEC-IV_adapter.htm

You may be able to use others base settings, but I would not rely on others tune as a base. Not only can it be dangerous, it reduces your learning on how to tune your own vehicle. Sure there is a learning curve, but it's not as tough as most think....and once you get it down, your able to compensate for any changes you do in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry i worded that poorly, i meant can a MS tune get you as good results as a custom burned chip. thanks for the links.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Listen to Millhouse, for he is the chosen one. No seriously, I'm considering going with the Tweecer RT kit sometime in the future. For now I'm gona let JMS burn me a few tunes. I did just buy the Innovate LC1 kit came in today!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what does a chip burn usually cost? might go that route for now. I shouldn't be messing with my setup once i get it tuned, it is my one and only DD.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts