Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its taking me forever to get this thing going because of other projects I have but it should come together quite quick in the next few weeks, as I've order a ton of parts to hopefully get it done.

1990 Convertible Rx7
Cage, Cusco Coilovers, RPF1s, Fuel Cell, SP1000 Pump, Aeromotive FPR & Fuel Rails, 83lb Injectors(might run e85)
Stock 5.0/T5, Single 67mm Turbo(.68ar), 38mm WG Dumped, V-Mount Intercooler/Forge BOV, 3" DP & Exhaust, 70mm TB, Megasquirt II ECU

Building the car to have some fun, mostly drifting, but really looking to have fun in a car instead of just building a car and then immediately selling it like i've been doing. Plan to run 10psi, shooting for around 400ft/lbs of torque, and not revving it above 5k rpm. I did all the routine maintenance: water pump, oil pump, timing chain, seals, and added a windage tray. I do have a trickflow set of heads and intake, but don't plan to use those at this moment. I think the valvetrain will give on the motor before the bottom end lets go.

I bought a couple sets of twin turbo manifolds and will be modifying them for the single turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess after I get some more posts under my belt it will let me.

My 12' Harness and Megasquirt stuff came in last week and today is the first day I'm finding time to work on this thing.

Going to work on the Turbo manifolds today and hopefully get them finished, and then move on to the downpipe and intercooler.

Question: What purpose does a flex pipe serve in the crossover pipe that will run between the 2 manifolds. I'm designing it similar to the treadstone single turbo set up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
allso going to use the mega squirt system. when you start instaling it can you go into detail with what your doing so i can see hows its don? would make it easier on myself when i get mine. thanks. will be a fast car in the 1/4 do to the power/weight ration.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The flex joint is there to give the crossover a little bit of give to keep the piping from cracking under the stress of a twisting engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah like I said I think the valvetrain will go before the bottom.

What are my tranny options going to be if the T5 goes out. If it does I guess I would be willing to spend somewhere around $800, I wouldn't really want to have to get a new clutch and stuff, but a t56 sounds cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't really had the chance to check out a foxes engine bay, but I need to.

I'm currently about to tackle the wiring. Because the car is mainly going to be a race car I'm keeping everything as simple as possible. Going to run Megasquirt using there 12ft engine harness and want to just run switches and push button start.

Are there any sweet write ups on Corral where guys have done some of this wiring? I kind of know where to start but would like to see what others have already done.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
kill the dizzy and go DIS with edis 8. No edis module needed. I run MS too. Other than that its all pretty straight word.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not trying to spend any more money on it right now just want to get it running so I can drive it. Maybe one day ditch the distributor.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Not trying to spend any more money on it right now just want to get it running so I can drive it. Maybe one day ditch the distributor.
Yeah tell me about it. I get the $$$ then another vehicle or something needs fixed.

Where u get the alt relocation bracket? What year ur motor?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts