Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some life changes, I am in the planning stages for another project. I'm thinking about if a fox would handle a lot better and be more suited for handling with a turbo 4 instead of a v8.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking a base 4-cyl, 5 speed coupe and throwing a turbo engine from a TC into it, along with the base mustang kit car stuff for handling.

Yes, I know that SVO's had this setup, but would the benefits of better weight distribution outweigh the crappy handling or should I wait and pick up a totally different car, say an M3 or a newer Mustang?

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Someone on here, I can't remember who, was saying that the turbo 4 weighs the same as a 5 liter including all the turbo components. So that kinda poops on the whole less weight thing. Assuming he was corrct on weighing everything.

I'll tell you now, that if your looking for an M3 type of driver, just get the M3. A mustang and an M3 are two totally different beasts. Drive an M3 and you'll see.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unfortunately the turbo 4 doesn't end up weighing a lot less than the 302 and that's before you get rid of the iron heads for aluminum. There is an aluminum head for the 2.3t (Esslinger) but there really isn't as much weight difference as you would think due to the weight of the exhaust manifold, turbo and intercooler.

steve

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You'd be better off going with a hot 2.3 n/a setup if your looking for a cheap, super light, and fun track car.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, this is put on hold. I may not even go with a mustang next time. I just picked up a tow vehicle, so the car is waiting.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Two years ago, I did a little research. looking for a lightweight candidate for American Iron. AI has a minimum weight rule, but it only applies to V8 cars. So, I wend looking for a non-V8, lightweight Ford, and a lightweight non-V8 engine, I ended up with...

...a 1975 Maverick! :D

A Maverick is about 2500#, fully dressed from the factory. Add a turbo version of the Lincoln LS's all aluminum V6 making about 270HP. For power tracks like TWS, you crank up the boost and add ballast.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am currently weighing parts on my turbo 4 as I build it. So far the only things I haven't weighed is the block/pistons/turbo. I am no where near how much a V8 weighs. Unless the empty block weighs 200+ pounds.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I've also read about guys using newer, aluminum block I-4s rather than the older iron block 2.3L. It's honestly something I've thought could be pretty cool - a built all aluminum turbo 4 in a nice light Fox, like an early Fairmont 2-door. :)

Then I realize I already have 3 cars, all of which have multiple unfinished projects. :(

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Then I realize I already have 3 cars, all of which have multiple unfinished projects. :(
Yeah -- I'm doing good to keep my AI car on the track. I don't need another project, but the thought of a super-lightweight AI car keeps me up at night. The current AI leader in Texas is a fairly high-horsepower 99-04 Mustang, and I think his increased weight is a liability on shorter, tighter tracks like Hallet, Eagle's Canyon, and MSR Cresson.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The thing isn't that the 2.3T weighs less than the 5.0, it's that the weight is shifted farther rearward, and the front end accessories are more next to the engine than they are in front of the engine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'll tell you now, that if your looking for an M3 type of driver, just get the S197. A Fox mustang and a S197 are two totally different beasts. Drive an S197 and you'll see.
Fixed. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts