Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting a spare built GT40P engine with a mild cam, 1.7 rockers, and a 70mm turbo in my wife's 1971 Maverick. We are using the 4R70W trans, building it with decent internals and a good convertor. The rear will be a narrowed 8.8 with 3.27 gears. The engine should make around 340hp at the crank, and the goal is around 500-550 total, so it should only take 8-11 pounds of boost or so. I was figuring on 42lb injectors and possibly a methanol kit for cooling, since it's hard to fit an intercooler. I have had a FAST system on one of my other cars, and am about to fit the FAST to my 1964 Fairlane. I am torn between using the stock Explorer computer with it's crank trigger and coil packs, along with transmission control, and going back to the more common distributor and A9L computer and a Baumann Stand-alone transmission controller.

What would you recommend for tuning the factory 1997 Explorer computer? I had looked at the Tweecer R/T combined with Binary Editor and the EEC Analyzer software, which is what a friend of mine uses. He uses the A9L processor and an AOD though, and I wanted to keep the use of my 4R70W. He did recommend the Baumann controller over using the factory computer for transmission controller... said he was not a fan of the load based tuning of the factory computer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts