Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you guys are running turbo fox's with no chip, just tunning with timing, fuel pressure and a wideband?

this is how i was running mine until i stretched the stock head bolts...now im installing felpro 9333 HG's and ARP studs..

i still plan on street tunning my car without a chip on 8 psi

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hows your driveability on the street? I would think it would be pretty jerky.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how are u controlling your afr/what r u doing to tune it?spout out cranking up fuel presure
10 degrees timing (still running with spout in), 42 psi FP with vaccum off...autolite 25 plugs gapped to .032...

nothing fancy but it works and it drives smooth as silk..AFR's were 11.2 at 8 psi....stretched the stock 20 year old head bolts and now upgrading

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I run spout out timing locked at 22* , fuel pressure is 31 with vaccum.

I know it could be better with a custom tunning ( pms , tweecer ect.. ) its rich at idle and part throttle but WOT its on point and that was my main concern for now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
10 degrees timing (still running with spout in), 42 psi FP with vaccum off...autolite 25 plugs gapped to .032...

nothing fancy but it works and it drives smooth as silk..AFR's were 11.2 at 8 psi....stretched the stock 20 year old head bolts and now upgrading
lock the timing at 22* with the spout out. if you have the spout in the computer is added a #### ton of timing witch is to much for iron heads. I think the stock timing map for a fox computer is somewhere in the 35* range up top. lock it at 22* and see what that dose after you put in the new studs and gaskets. your base fuel pressure is fine. are your o2's still pluged in? and i would drop the gap dwon to like .28. are you runing any sorta after market igntion box? what maf are you runing?

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats the plan on the timing...:salute:

yes, my 02's are still hooked up...ive read about alot of people unplugging them...is this a good idea?

im running an MSD blaster coil, no ignition box and a PMAS blow through meter i purchased from power adder solutions in raleigh.

lock the timing at 22* with the spout out. if you have the spout in the computer is added a #### ton of timing witch is to much for iron heads. I think the stock timing map for a fox computer is somewhere in the 35* range up top. lock it at 22* and see what that dose after you put in the new studs and gaskets. your base fuel pressure is fine. are your o2's still pluged in? and i would drop the gap dwon to like .28. are you runing any sorta after market igntion box? what maf are you runing?

·
Registered
483 Posts
if you were runing like an msd box you could run the gap that big. I would pull it down to .28. the blow thru mass air is perfect. and you could see some better results with the o2's unplugged. the computer will read from the mass air counts when at wot. it wont read of the o2's.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you were runing like an msd box you could run the gap that big. I would pull it down to .28. the blow thru mass air is perfect. and you could see some better results with the o2's unplugged. the computer will read from the mass air counts when at wot. it wont read of the o2's.
thanks....hey are you on SEFB? my screen name is TMP on there

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've always run my turbo cars without a tune...my last full weight LX ran 9.90s on pump gas with no chip...I had a 255 high pressure pump in the tank and T-rex in line, 42s, a blow-thru MAF, and a crane ignition box that pulled timing under boost...I ran 15 degrees initial timing and pulled 1/2 degree per pound of boost. fuel pressure was set at 42 without vac. I also ran with just locked timing at 20 degrees and it ran just as good but ran hotter around town. Overall driveability was good...it was a little hard to keep idling when cold, but after that, it was great!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
to the OP, if the car isnt misfiring at high revs under boost leave the gap alone. If you turn the boost up you might misfire and have to get a ign box or lower the gap.

10* spout in is probably too much timing and the plug seems a little hot. Suprised the thing isnt detonating.

stock timing curve runs 26* up top which is fine for your bost level. THe plug seems a tad hot, but if your not getting detonation run with it, If you up the boost any more id definatly get a colder plug and lock the timing or pull back a few degrees spout in.

If the car runs well enough untuned then run with it, every car is different, some run great with no tune and others run like garbage and need tuned.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I ran stock motor/62-1 at 10 psi with no tune for 2 years. 10* timing spout in, PMAS protube had no issues at all.

I have a BTM.. one of the older vortec ones Im selling cheap if your interested. I never used it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am going to guess the PMAS mass air meter is calibrated too help you get that afr. My Pro-M gave me a 13.5 afr, which is what the stock computer was calling for. So, without tuning, it didn't work at all for me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I ran no tune for years when I had my 302. I used 3923 plugs, 42lb injectors w/ 255 in tank, and a BTM. Good for 10.50's and drove it all the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i am having issues with my car popping under slight boost and this post is on point with what i am going to try and fix. i have my timing set at 12 with spout in and have a msd btm which i have set at 1 per pound. i have 42's dbx meter 255 intank with a anderson inline boost pump. i have yet to put my wideband on it to see the a/f and will before i try and reall get into boost. the car seems to poop and buck before it even builds boost.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts