Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please skip on comments regarding the longevity of my motor. :)

1998 Mustang GT with original 100k short block untouched. Car has been turbocharged for close to 20,000 miles at 500 rwhp. Modifications include

Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads
Holley System Max Intake
Stock Cam with 1.7 Roller Rockers
Dr. Gas 2.5" X pipe with Dyno Max race magnum bullets.
60# Injectors
255 Intake Pump and Anderson Ford Motorsport Pusher Pump
Zone 5 Products Maf Extender
SCT Tuning in progress (A/F still needs some work)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
*Cough *Cough...ticking time bomb! *Cough *Cough

Seriously though, nice numbers. :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
So you put a incon equipped 5.0 in a 1998 GT? Did you you just have a spare from another project? What did you use to tune it,a chip or piggyback,or standalone??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Detonation kills the motor not mileage or boost

Only if he detonates.
I had a 86 Grand National that I was pushing 30psi through a 100k bone stock untouched motor. I had a huge intercooler and was spaying alky (alky control) kit on pump gas. The motor looked perfect when I took it out to put a built motor in it. I was very impressed with the condition of the internals. The car ran 11.8 116 on pump gas, nittos DRs 275/60/15s, and my driving skills, at 23psi. I wound up bumping the boost to 30 psi after tunning it better with Julio at alky control
However I was only running 20-22psi on the built motor since it had heads, intake and a cam.

I'll be putting another one of his kits on my stang once I get the $$$$ together.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Only if he detonates.
I had a 86 Grand National that I was pushing 30psi through a 100k bone stock untouched motor. I had a huge intercooler and was spaying alky (alky control) kit on pump gas. The motor looked perfect when I took it out to put a built motor in it. I was very impressed with the condition of the internals. The car ran 11.8 116 on pump gas, nittos DRs 275/60/15s, and my driving skills, at 23psi. I wound up bumping the boost to 30 psi after tunning it better with Julio at alky control
However I was only running 20-22psi on the built motor since it had heads, intake and a cam.

I'll be putting another one of his kits on my stang once I get the $$$$ together.
I’m not sure how familiar you are with the stock 302 short-block….but it doesn’t take detonation to kill the stock block. Yes detonation can contribute…but at those power levels, your tune can be spot on with no detonation….and the block can still let loose.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m not sure how familiar you are with the stock 302 short-block….but it doesn’t take detonation to kill the stock block. Yes detonation can contribute…but at those power levels, your tune can be spot on with no detonation….and the block can still let loose.
Thank you ford for an externally balanced motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts