Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 99 Cobra with a Hellion / Turbonetics 62-1 kit. While tuning I was told the fuel system wasn't up to par and needed to be addressed before proceding. The Injectors were changed to 60lb, installed twin svt focus pumps with the 03 fuel hat and .5" line to the fuel rail and a mafia extender for the 90mm maf.

The car was then tuned and runs well and ended up with 507hp and 519tq and 10.45lbs of boost with what he calls a conservative street tune with 93 octane. He says the returnless system is holding me back and if I go to a full return system I should be able to get another 150-200 hp with a new tune.

This wasn't a shop that caters to stangs and the guy bashed mustangs the whole time. He's a self proclaimed "perfectionist and picky" but I found he did some not so desirable things. They did an oil change and later found the drain plug was impacted on and took an hour to get the stripped plug out and he used a cheap ass generic oil filter on it as well.

Anyway back to the point I am trying to make- does this power level sound right. There aren't many turbo cars around here and I am new to this power adder but the supercharged guys are adding KB 2.9's and hitting 700hp without upgrading the fuel system and I am pretty much running a terminator fuel system now.

What's your take on this.........................
Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies- wish you were closer Chris but it looks like VMP is fairly close to the house.

I'm sure gonna miss real street performance's 25 minute lectures on how volkswagons paint is better than any fords ever produced :snore:
(Yea, I went there and said who the tuner was even though nobody asked)

So does it sound like this combo might have some power left to extract? Any thoughts on going to a full return system...................

Thanks
RSH

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
This wasn't a shop that caters to stangs and the guy bashed mustangs the whole time. He's a self proclaimed "perfectionist and picky" but I found he did some not so desirable things. They did an oil change and later found the drain plug was impacted on and took an hour to get the stripped plug out and he used a cheap ass generic oil filter on it as well.
:eeek: I would stay as far away from this shop as possible... especially if you own a mustang!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nothing wrong with bashing mustangs.

Your "returnless" system actually has an in tank return. You do have more fuel potential than your little 62-1. Hell Your power numbers have to be close to maxed out for that one.

Please post dyno graphs and don't go back there cause the tuner hasn't a clue about EFI apperently.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really think I'm maxed out with 10lbs of boost???

This is the dyno sheet- really not much info there and excuse the grainy scan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
630wtq- that's a nice number. So the 500hp/tq is about right for this combo? What would my next move be to get to the 600hp mark?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yep, 62-1 will only support a little over 500rwhp

It starts falling on it face above that. It's a great turbo selection for 4.6L up to that power level though. Swap out to a T-70 and start cranking up the boost. Maybe go with some 72lbs injectors. I think those pumps are good to 700+rwhp.

500+ rwhp on 10psi is excellent for a 4.6L motor. Guys making 700+ are running 20+psi.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing special here:
Teksid block- JE 8.8-1, poished crank, ARP main studs, Manley “terminator” rods, “C” heads 5 angle valve job, 90mm maf with a mafia extender, 60lb injectors, dual SVT Focus pumps (.5" line),

Tube "K" and control arms with coil overs & caster camber plates, all urethane suspension bushings, 3.27's out back, fr500 wheels, magnaflows

Thnks r.barn- that's what I was looking for..................

·
Registered
84 Posts
You really think I'm maxed out with 10lbs of boost???

It aint the psi that indicates the limits of that turbo being reached. Its the air consumption of your engine.

i had the same exact turbo and it was maxed out at 10.8psi on the dyno. Made 531whp/630wtq. Theres no way that turbo is going to make over 600-650hp

Holy crap that alot of torque! 4.6L?

630wtq- that's a nice number. So the 500hp/tq is about right for this combo? What would my next move be to get to the 600hp mark?

75 shot or a T-70

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I would also recommend going to a full lope return fuel system as well. It would be a good idea for the HP levels you are saying you want to hit. There are a lot guys running returnless system at high HP levels, but there are also a lot of guys nuking engines too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
did you just say that a high percentage of engines are schmelting because of fuel starvation problems incurred by the incapability of the svt fuel system to provide enough fuel volume and pressure to the injector at ~600whp??? And the only cure is moving the regulator out of the tank and into the engine compartment?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts