Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if i need to worry about putting tubes and screws on a set of slicks on a 12 sec car, that only sees track 1 or 2 times a month

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
screws yes... tubes no.
Ditch the extra unsprung weight and potential safty issue of a tube. Think about how fast a tube goes flat when you put a nail in it. Now do the same with a tire. That's why I look at tubes as a safty issue. The only down side is that you'll have to inflate the tires more often. say like once a week. Before you seat the bead of the tire and inflate it, take some dishwashing detergent and rub it inside the tire to clog the pores and you may not have to inflate as often.
You want the screws to hold the bead of the tire to the rim. Without the screws, the rim could spin inside the tire. When that happens the tire doesn't rotate. If the tire don't move, the car don't move.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
ilbw8n said:
wondering if i need to worry about putting tubes and screws on a set of slicks on a 12 sec car, that only sees track 1 or 2 times a month
a 12 sec car shouldnt need screws in the rim. Although if your launching on a manual tranny with a strong clutch,low gears, and large slicks......you might.

·
Registered
106 Posts
NO tubes NO screws for a 12 sec car.

I run PRostars. Didn't want to screw them. They move about an inch or 2 every raceday, but that's the price I pay..

Oh yeah..Something I will try if I'm bored or replace my slicks:

Before mounting the slick, take a dremel or a chisel, and just put slight digs where the bead sits. They also sell glue for this, but you cant get the tire off for **** when you want.

The lines or digs should grab the rubber preventing spinning.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
I have a 12 sec car w/ screws, no tubes. I launch at 7K and don't want the wheels to spin. With the screws, I know they wont.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Travis, I noticed you said 7K RPM launches. I would think 7K RPM launches should get you out of the hole quicker than 1.70 sec.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
I would think so too. I think the problem is my slicks. I bought them used, two seasons ago. They must be old as hell, because the say "Mickey Thompson" around them, instead of M/T. The old timers at the track told me they havent done that since the mid-nineties. :lol: Oh well, they hook a hell of a lot better than my street tires.
New slicks are the next thing I plan to buy for my car. I'm thinking I can cut a 1.5-1.6 and get my times down to a 7.7-7.8. Hopefully that will happen this year. But unless some money falls out of the sky this summer, the wife won't let it happen.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
So are they spinning? Or is something else slipping?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
Although I can't really feel it, I believe they are spinning slightly on the launch before gripping good. Then I think I spin a little when I hit 2nd and 3rd.

What else could be slipping? My clutch?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I launch my 87 coupe at ~5000rpm and have run a number of 1.68 - 1.70 60ft times. I use 28x11.5 M/T ET Streets with tubes and rim bolts. I have a stock speed density engine with 4.10 gears (and a bunch of other suspension mods)

Best 60ft ....1.68
Best 1/8 .....8.22 @ 82 mph
Best 1/4 ...12.97 @ 104 mph

When I launch at 5000, I have to shift almost immediately, I can't imagine launching at 7000. You must be almost shifting *during* the launch!

I just bought a NOS PowerShot to see if I can dip into the 11's

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
T_Bone said:

What else could be slipping? My clutch?
Its not the stock clutch is it?:barf: If so, yes its slipping a little.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Thats where your power is going then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts