Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find offensive putting an Ls motor in a mustang? Do you think if you put an Ls motor in your mustang, are you a true Ford Mustang guy? Thank you for your input

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother has a 6.0 already built sitting on a stand, and a 4l80e all ready to go. I don't have a rotating assembly or valve train for the 351. All we have to do is fab some motor mounts for the Team Z k member.
So if you had the money or the 351 complete, you still would or would not put the Ls in the mustang?
I understand that is your car and you can do whatever you want with it, personally I would never put a Chevy motor in a mustang or ford motor in a vette. Maybe because I was around when Fun Ford Weekend came to New England Dragway and off course you could not race a mustang with a Ls engine. I don't know when Ls swapping became so popular.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Having done one (in a friend's SN95), the LS isn't any cheaper. It's more expensive by time you get everything. Harnesses, K-member, headers, etc. The junkyard engine is cheaper but that's where it gets it's "cheap" reputation. It CAN be a cheap deal if you're swapping it into a GM body that will readily accept it with few mods.

it's a good engine to build on. Nothing really special in stock form, at least the truck engines (4.8, 5.3, 6.0). Then if you get a DOD engine, you have to deal with that, and the variable cam timing deals also need to be dealt with. Just adds more to the cost.

Hot Rod TV did a deal a while back, LQ4 based, with a rebuild, made something like 400 hp for $4000. A 5.0/302 will do that too with about the same money, as long as it came factory in that car so that the EFI stuff (if desired), mounts, transmission, radiator, pumps, and all that stuff will go back on. It honestly wasn't that impressive.

Hotrodding has always been about this kinda stuff. Swapping Olds and Caddy V8's into 32 Fords, and that sorta thing. My dad has told me hundreds of stories about circle track stuff, street racing stuff, and drag racing, using oddball combinations that worked great. And I know a guy who's running a '68 Camaro drag car with a 514" BBF. It runs great. 8.90's in the 1/4. Lot of people look at it funny and the die hard chevy guys just shake the head and walk off. Same thing I get when I tell people that my Ford has a GM transmission in it. What's funny is that the same guys that get mad are the same guys that have ported iron heads on a SBF using GM valves, probably GM rod bearings (stroker stuff), and that sort of thing.

I really don't have a problem with it, but I personally wouldn't do it-and when I see a Ford body with an LS engine in it, it had better run REALLY well. Few local guys have been swapping a 5.3 deal into a Fairmont and they were at the drag strip recently. Everyone had high expecations. It went a best of 8.50 in the 1/8. My old '78 Fairmont with a iron headed 302 did that, and was dirt cheap (like under $1000) for the entire engine, transmission, everything, using a lot of used parts. In a car that cost $150 to buy at the time.

Last week I run into a guy who had a Toyota MR2 with a chevy small block in the back. Don't know how, or why, but the thing turns your head for sure. You don't see Toyota guys getting bent out of shape on that.

And at a car show recently I seen a '32 Ford with a 4V modular in/on it. Neat. Guy said it was a LOT of work, and it paid off. You don't see modulars in anything but Cobra's and whatever they come stock in around here.

The Modulars are not exploited enough, IMO, partly because of the expense. 4 camshafts are going to total up to $1200- $1500, not counting chains, HLA's, head porting, shortblock stuff, etc. But, they are good engines, they just lack the displacement. You can buy a 4.6, or 5.0 now from a junkyard, or scrounge around for a 6.2, but an LS can be had that's already 6.0 and can go bigger. 'Vettes were 7.0, weren't they? (I don't keep up with that crowd...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
So if you had the money or the 351 complete, you still would or would not put the Ls in the mustang?
I understand that is your car and you can do whatever you want with it, personally I would never put a Chevy motor in a mustang or ford motor in a vette. Maybe because I was around when Fun Ford Weekend came to New England Dragway and off course you could not race a mustang with a Ls engine. I don't know when Ls swapping became so popular.
If I had the cash I would probably do the Ford motor. It's a tank of a block. The C4 is built. But after some health problems and a job change this project has been on hold for about 3 years now.

The LS motor isn't stock. My brother was head tech at a couple of high end speed shops here in Detroit and another shop down south. He has accumulated lots of hard parts for the LS. It would probably be in the 6-700 HP N/A. Add a 91.5 turbo and an air to water cooler and were pushing 1500hp easy. It will be a fun lightweight drag car. We both have fun street cars/daily drivers.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
i tend to be a bit of a purist when it come to engines going in cars. put a chevy into a chevy, a ford into a ford, a chrysler into a chrysler. there are exceptions of course, for instance, old street rods had ford bodies and chevy engines because there were no rear sump oil pans for fords until the late 70s. have a studebaker, and want a healthy engine for it? a chevy goes in real nice, and later studebakers came with chevy engines. other off brand manufacturers, go with what you want if you dont want the original engine.

in the end however, if someone wants to put an LS into their mustang, thats fine by me, its their car not mine. but dont expect me to buy the car when it needs to be sold to pay bills, unless i get a extremely good deal on it, and dont expect me to hold onto the car either.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Like most have said- i dont care either way. Such a common swap nowadays so hey whatever.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
This would be a non issue if Ford had built and offered better engines in the first place.

Ford sticks to wimpy displacement engines for some reason,eg 4.6,5.0 whereas GM and Chrysler offer much larger engines.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I have 3 Mustangs. One is a straight up drag car. I never even considered putting a non Ford engine in it. But here is the thing, and there is no getting around it, the "Ford" engine I built for the drag car does not have a single part made by Ford in it, on it or around it. Lol. All aftermarket high performance heavy duty stuff. And that ultimately led to a GM based transmission in the car. The "PowerGlide" in the car does not have a single GM made part in it, on it or around it. I tried to use a Ford based transmission, a 4R70W, but nobody could/would make one that could take over 1K power and give even a 30 day warranty on it. The "Glide" is easily built to take over 1,500 HP, is smaller, lighter and takes less HP to spin compared to the 4R70W or AOD type transmission. If a Ford trans could be built to take that kind of power, I would have used it. So while I bleed Ford Blue, the reality of the build required the use of a "GM" based trans.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
If a Ford trans could be built to take that kind of power, I would have used it. So while I bleed Ford Blue, the reality of the build required the use of a "GM" based trans.

How do people feel about using a 9" FORD rear in every other brand vehicle? Or 8.8's for that matter? Similar to the GM Delco-Remy alternators that are commonly used in all sorts of brands. Heck I've got one in my Daweoo forklift (hercules engine)... it's dirt simple, works, and is so popular that it can be had anywhere for pennies. Could've used a Ford 3G, but the wiring plugged directly into a GM.

But what is fairly rewarding is pulling out onto the drag strip, your opponent being a SBC, BBC, or LSx powered Ford car, and you bury his butt at the finish line-with your Ford powered Ford. Especially if it's SBF power and the opponent was a BBC or something like that.

After while I think we'll get a little more accepting of the LSx swaps. I'm trying to convince myself but having a hard time thus far. But I have to keep in mind that this sort of thing has been going on for decades. Olds V8 swapped into about everything back in the day because the Chevy, Ford, Chrysler stuff was still behind. Then there was the big caddy craze. That old boat anchor 500" Cadillac engine was swapped into tons of different chassis because it was 500". But it was still something like 200hp. Nothing to write home about; and worst of all the big hunk of scrap's block isn't real strong, so you start making some power with it and next thing you know, it spits parts out-or breaks the block (or both). Then along comes the popularity of the 5.0 Fords, then the 385 series Fords, then the 335 series (modifieds and 400 Ford specifically), and now we're looking at swapping LSx into everything else. As I said, I don't like it, but I just don't see it being any different than the way things used to be back in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's...you get the idea. Long time ago people got offended by racers swapping Hemi's into everything but the good thing that came out of it was (1) a lot of hemi's were destroyed and (2) it makes the purists work harder to beat them.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
How do people feel about using a 9" FORD rear in every other brand vehicle? Or 8.8's for that matter?
If it works better than what you have I am all for it. I just do not see the need to LS swap a Mustang when there are plenty of Ford engines around that would do exactly the same thing performance wise. It is hard to beat the durability of the 9" Ford rear end. So people use it. Same with the Glide, it can handle way more power than any Ford trans can. And the only reason for that is the after market support on the Glide based transmissions. Mine has a Reid Case and Bell housing ect. Nobody makes a SFI case for the 4R70W or AOD. If they did, I would have one of those transmissions in the car. Even if it costs more. Lord knows I spent enough on the 8.2" deck SBF in my car.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've never been beaten by an LS or big block Chev, even though they are much better motors than 8.2 deck Fords. :)

I'm sure it will happen someday. I'm just lucky my slow-ass Ford motor gets up against Chevy's that someone forgets to:

1.) Put fuel in

2.) Turn pump on

3.) Open nitrous bottle

4.) Rain in their lane

5.) Forgot to connect a plug wire

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I have also see:

Blown starter fuse...who puts a 10 amp fuse in the starter circuit?

Nitrous bottle turned on...but bottle almost empty and ran out after 300 feet.

Trans Brake failure..roll the beams

Red light when you flicker the bottom stage bulb.

I made the final round once because everyone I ran red-lit...except the sob that kicked my ass in the finals, lol. Any of the other guys would have won if they had not red-lit. I was running my 8.5 O/L car in Super Pro, running on a .5 Sportsman tree which I am not used to, dialing a 8.80 and lifting after the 1/8 mile and coasting out the back to not break out. Real hard to run the number when you are coasting the last 400 plus feet. I think it was more the guys in Super Pro at this track were not used to seeing a small tire car pull up with a 8.80 dial on the window and it un-nerved them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts