Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help:

I installed trick flow stage 1 cam and 170 Trick Flow heads/ 24 lb injectors/ calibrated MAF meter. After install car surges n cuts off after it warms up. If i drive it and it cuts off once i try to start it. It will start but idle will jump n most of the time cut off. Sometimes it regains. Do i need a tune?

What i tried so far:

1. Idle reset - have not driven it to relearn ecu yet.
2. Vacuum gauge reads 13 hg jumps a bit
3. Cursed
4. Dont know what else to try....

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
709 Posts
Did you check out port alignment between the manifold and the new heads?

When I did my 347 the mani had to be cut IIRC .090 sides and .120 on the flats
just to get a good match and a good crush gasket at the bottom of the port.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You need a tune, but just live with it unless you wanna spend the money. It will read closed loop at WOT and run strong. You have a 225hp tune for a 350hp engine..

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Need help:

I installed trick flow stage 1 cam and 170 Trick Flow heads/ 24 lb injectors/ calibrated MAF meter. After install car surges n cuts off after it warms up. If i drive it and it cuts off once i try to start it. It will start but idle will jump n most of the time cut off. Sometimes it regains. Do i need a tune?

What i tried so far:

3. Cursed

Thanks in advanced
IDLE RESET is for stock engine

Change anything, you need recalibration

As said, either live with it, or tune it

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Scan for codes. With the mods you have done it won't idle like stock, but it also shouldn't die and surge like crazy. I have done the exact setup you have more than once, never had a tune, always have run decent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Need help:

What i tried so far:

3. Cursed
Do you need a tune yes. But 13 hgi for that cam sounds low, and the fact that it is jumping could be from the surge. I am running trick flow heads and a bigger cam and I am pulling close to 20 inches of vaccum. Check for a vaccum leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts