Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 95 GT with about 100k on it. I am the second owner of the car and know the person who sold it to me well. He always took car of the car and kept synthetic oil in it all its life.

The car has a Ford Racing (Powerdyne) supercharger kit on it with all of the supporting mods:

19# injectors/190LPH pump/Cobra ECU
Powerdyne supplied FRU with blow-off valve
upgraded MAF and TB

Right now the car runs well with this setup at around 6-8 psi of boost. It's never seen a dyno so I have no idea how much HP the rear wheels are seeing, I'd guess close to 300?

My question is if the engine would handle a TrickFlow HCI kit? I like the idea of a kit with matching components at a reasonable price. My goal is to get the car closer to 400HP and keep it reliable and drive-able. If this is too much I could swap in a smaller pully or maybe just pick a few things included in the kit like maybe heads and intake only.

I know this will inevitably upset the tune that the ECU can handle, but I had planned on swapping to a Megasquirt beforehand. I am very interested in learning about tuning and hoped to see if I could get rid of the "FRU" included with the Powerdyne simplifying things a bit. I know the Powerdyne is not the best supercharger in the world but I got it with the car and from what I've read they aren't too bad as long as you don't spin them too fast. It makes some sense to me to build up the motor some and dial down the boost for reliability if I need to in my case.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The motor will be fine. You’re looking at around 65hp with the powerdyne at 6lbs. You can move to 42lb injectors and ditch the fmu if you wanted to after the trickflow step. The stock ecu will be fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wouldn’t it make more sense to upgrade to a used s trim ainstead of the hci for around the same amount of money?

Just spitballing ideas

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just picked up a 95 GT with about 100k on it. I am the second owner of the car and know the person who sold it to me well. He always took car of the car and kept synthetic oil in it all its life.

The car has a Ford Racing (Powerdyne) supercharger kit on it with all of the supporting mods:

19# injectors/190LPH pump/Cobra ECU
Powerdyne supplied FRU with blow-off valve
upgraded MAF and TB

Right now the car runs well with this setup at around 6-8 psi of boost. It's never seen a dyno so I have no idea how much HP the rear wheels are seeing, I'd guess close to 300?

My question is if the engine would handle a TrickFlow HCI kit? I like the idea of a kit with matching components at a reasonable price. My goal is to get the car closer to 400HP and keep it reliable and drive-able. If this is too much I could swap in a smaller pully or maybe just pick a few things included in the kit like maybe heads and intake only.

I know this will inevitably upset the tune that the ECU can handle, but I had planned on swapping to a Megasquirt beforehand. I am very interested in learning about tuning and hoped to see if I could get rid of the "FRU" included with the Powerdyne simplifying things a bit. I know the Powerdyne is not the best supercharger in the world but I got it with the car and from what I've read they aren't too bad as long as you don't spin them too fast. It makes some sense to me to build up the motor some and dial down the boost for reliability if I need to in my case.

Thanks guys
You'll easily get 400rwhp out of a TF top end kit plus 6-8 psi and with a safe tune it'll be very reliable. You're logic is correct which is refreshing to see. Most just want to throw more PSI at it but that creates more heat which costs you HP and could lead to detonation. The more HP you can make naturally aspirated the better when it comes to having a reliable street car. This will also keep you from being dependent on meth injection.

I know a guy that can help you with tuning if you choose Megasquirt or Pimp. He loves helping others and he'll do it over the phone or will connect to your laptop and tune over the air for free. He helped me a lot with my start up, warm up enrichment, and idle settings. When you're ready to do this just hit me up and I'll give you his contact info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.
The motor will be fine. You’re looking at around 65hp with the powerdyne at 6lbs. You can move to 42lb injectors and ditch the fmu if you wanted to after the trickflow step. The stock ecu will be fine
I was hoping to be able to eliminate the FRU while using the 19# injectors I already have. From what I understand if I can modify the tune I can simply fire the injectors more to make up for the brute force the FRU is using to get more fuel into the cylinder. This is with a boost reference fuel pressure regulator. While I'm sure I could get away with the stock ECU I want to be able to tinker with it directly and learn a few things.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to upgrade to a used s trim ainstead of the hci for around the same amount of money?

Just spitballing ideas
Are you suggesting I just leave the rest of the engine alone and try and force more boost into it with a Vortech instead? Would that be a large improvement over the 6-8psi I see now?

You'll easily get 400rwhp out of a TF top end kit plus 6-8 psi and with a safe tune it'll be very reliable. You're logic is correct which is refreshing to see. Most just want to throw more PSI at it but that creates more heat which costs you HP and could lead to detonation. The more HP you can make naturally aspirated the better when it comes to having a reliable street car. This will also keep you from being dependent on meth injection.

I know a guy that can help you with tuning if you choose Megasquirt or Pimp. He loves helping others and he'll do it over the phone or will connect to your laptop and tune over the air for free. He helped me a lot with my start up, warm up enrichment, and idle settings. When you're ready to do this just hit me up and I'll give you his contact info.
The more I think about the better a H/C/I sounds to me. I have very little money in the car so the price of the parts doesn't seem outrageous to me. What I don't want to do is to start throwing parts at the car without a plan. That would be awesome to get in touch with a Megasquirt Guru. After I get a wideband installed the ECU is the next thing I will be doing so hopefully I will be ready for tuning soon. It will be interesting to see if I can make what I have on the car run better with a tune even before I mess with the engine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

I was hoping to be able to eliminate the FRU while using the 19# injectors I already have. From what I understand if I can modify the tune I can simply fire the injectors more to make up for the brute force the FRU is using to get more fuel into the cylinder. This is with a boost reference fuel pressure regulator. While I'm sure I could get away with the stock ECU I want to be able to tinker with it directly and learn a few things.
The 19# injectors will not flow enough fuel even if you fire them more unless you raise fuel pressure which is what an FMU (what you call an FRU) does. You will need larger injectors if you want to get rid of the FMU.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I didn't think 19# injectors even worked with a cobra ecm...maybe it was different for the sn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm in the exact opposite boat as the OP... I bought a car that already has the Trick Flow Street Burner kit and I want to add boost..
I'd rather be in your situation. There are better superchargers I'd rather have but not bad enough to toss what's already in the car. Did your car come with a chip or any sort of tune?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts