Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have Trick Flow
Spring kit for GT40 heads 2500100. I need some help with the spring retainers . Exhaust vs intake. This kit has a retainer that the top is smooth and another retainer that has a ridge kinda machined in the top. Also the smooth top retainer on the bottom center is kinda coned shape . The bags were opened so I’m trying to make sure . I called TF and they just said the exhaust is taller and there are the same overall thickness. Thanks for the help in advance .

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i cannot remember which one is which, but separate the 2 and once you start to install it will be obvious which one is for intake and which one is for exhaust. There will be an almost .100" difference between the 2 retainers since the exhaust and intake valves have different lengths between the two.

use the retainer that gets you closest to the 1.800' installed height.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the first exhaust valve , I checked and used one of the silver .030 shims . I used the retainer on the right (with the machined ridge in the middle of the top) .
I used the smooth retainer on a intake valve , used a .030 shim and a .015 to get it right .
Still not sure . TF said the “thicker one” is the exhaust , I used digital caliper and there both the same overall thickness.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the first exhaust valve , I checked and used one of the silver .030 shims . I used the retainer on the right (with the machined ridge in the middle of the top) .
I used the smooth retainer on a intake valve , used a .030 shim and a .015 to get it right .
Still not sure . TF said the “thicker one” is the exhaust , I used digital caliper and there both the same overall thickness.
Thanks
I made a video years ago on this install. You can check it out here:

https://youtu.be/yAhbBj6A-5o

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did watch your video, your video and other both the retainers look the same on top. I found one picture online that has the smooth top retainers. This kit came from LMR and has a set of smooth top and set with the ridge on top. This is the picture I found online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts