Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to beef up my 3550 tko 26 spline 5 speed tranny.

New found torque around 600 has started to cause problems.

Is there anything I can do that will beef the 3550 tko up to around 550-600lbs of torque? Can I use the new guts in the tko 600?

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
You might as well sell the unit and buy a new TKO600. The strength comes in the upgraded input shaft and output shaft. The TKO600 gear ration is a little better suited for the higher amount of torque as well.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
Tremecs have had shifting issues every since they came out. A lot of it has to do with the fluid you break them in with and how well the ckutch is adjusted as well as the transmission being properly lined up with the back of the engine.

As for finding a new unit for $1900, I'm sure you can find someone in a pinch needing cash. New ones from us are $2195.00.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
thesource
Do you think the 3550 has any chance of withstanding my 600lb torque turbo fox with a 8 puck ceramic disc? Clutch bites pretty hard!
Honestly. No. I broke a TR3550 with a N/A 393W on 275/60 drag radials. The mainshaft is the weak spot on those units as well as the factory 10 spline input shaft.

·
Registered
864 Posts
the tko 500 26 spline input shaft is a direct replacement for the 3550. i also added the tko 500 output shaft to my 3550. it will upgrade you from 26 to 31 spline on the output. you will need to have your 3550 tailshaft bored out to accept the larger 31 spline slipyoke. a new bushing and seal as well and of course a new 31 spline yoke. i called liberty and they did the machining for me for a small fee and set me up with all the parts at a VERY reasonable price. make sure when you assemble it you check clearance on the new parts. its a very easy straight forward swap.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
the only problem is that the TKO500/600 still share the same case as the 3550

in any case, if you're looking to make 600rwtq plus than you should strongly consider either an auto or the T56

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
or just buy a used jerico and never have any issues for the rest of your life ....

all other options is just a compromise.

the concept by these 3000 / 3550 / T56 /600 ETC, builders is to just get you in a ongoing and continual rebuilding cycle
over and over and over and over.......just to keep them in business.

if you would just buy the right thing in the first place,( iron box toploader or a jerico derivative) then you do not ned to upgrade anything again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts