Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

i went out and bought some real expensive Red Line AODE synthetic transmission fluid for my '94 GT. i have never changed the transmission fluid before. i did not realize that by draining the pan, you don't drain all of the fluid out. you only drain out about 4 or 5 quarts (according to my repair manual). my question is: is it even worth using the really expensive synthetic fluid that i bought if only 4 or 5 quarts will be put in? because the 4-5 quarts of the good stuff is going to mix in with the other 10 quarts of the factory-brand stuff, right? also, i bought 5 quarts (the manual says it takes 4). that doesn't seem like enough to me. should i get more?

brian

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mercon V is the way to go. It handles more heat, and actually runs a little cooler because it lubes better, and shifts better.
The synthetics are also good as long as they have the new/higher ratings of the Mercon V. It's not expensive when you consider how long that stuff stays in there and how important / expensive the tranny is. Never go cheap on automatic fluids.
Drain as much as you can and rotate the assembly by hand if possible to get some more fluid out. It always varies on how much you can get out, but the more, the better.
Be sure to replace the filter and gasket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's how I change mine, and since Mercon is cheap, I don't mind wasting a bunch of it. Of course I wouldn't do this with synthetic since it would cost an arm & a leg!

I unhook the transmission cooler lines from the radiator. Then I hook hoses up to the coolant line running into my drain pan. Then I start the car. As fluid pumps into the drain pan, I'm constantly pouring new fluid in the funnel I have filling the transmission up. I keep adding as it keeps coming out. When it starts coming out clean, I know I've gotten rid of most of the old stuff. I'll just go another quart to be sure though, what's 79 cents? At that point, I shut the car off and move on. Next I drop the pan and change the filter. I also dump that fluid and clean the magnet in the pan. That magnet inside the pan collects a bunch of sludge that used to be metal dust. I replace the pan and start the car and fill the fluid to the correct level. Finished...

I know if that's probably not the recommended way to change the fluid, but I get way more than 5 quarts of dirty fluid out. I get closer to 12 quarts of dirty fluid out and a couple quarts worth of pretty clean stuff. I figure I waste 3 or 4 quarts just to flush it out, but it's cheap anyhow. I buy 16 quarts to start the job and usually use all of them or end up with 1 left over. It might sound anal, but I know my fluid is clean when I'm done! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...

Hey,

Thanks for helping me out everyone. I changed the fluid tonight and used the Red Line Synthetic. I have 159,000 on my car right now, believe it or not. When I drained the pan, guess what I found inside of it:

The little plastic thing that is put in the pan at the factory that you are supposed to remove the first time that the transmission fluid is changed!!!!! So in other words, this is the first time that the transmission fluid had ever been changed on my car!!!!!! No wonder my transmission was running so poorly...

You can all probably imagine the difference the Red Line made! :D

brian

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
You have to be careful with high mileage changes though.

On a car with 160 miles on the clock you run the risk of making any slippage worse than before the change.

What usually happens is the nasty, debris filled fluid ends up thick enough to basically gum everything together.

When you change to fresh, and now much more thin, fluid it now slips like a bastard.

Hopefully this isn't the case, but I've seen it happen. (My 89 GT vert...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts