Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is in the wrong thread but I'm looking to get some help as to what my best option would be for a transmission going into next summer.
My 2004 GT is currently supercharged with a vortech v2 that makes around 420hp to the wheels (on the stock TR3650). Engine has forged internals, been rebuilt, etc so there are no problems there. (fuel, injectors, etc will be upgrade along the way)

My question for you guys is: is I'm completely new to drivetrain, trainsmissions, all that jazz. Bellhousings, TKO 600, bellhousings, it's all a blur to me. My plan is to make 700 rwhp next summer and I need a trans that will support that torque easily (I don't anticipate going over 700 once I get there).

Any suggestions. Is there a rebuild kit of the TR3650 that someone magically beefs up the internals to support that amount of power or am I looking at getting a full own race trans (auto or manual doesn't matter but I would love a manual).

Sorry I know there are some topics on here about this already but I haven't found much to definitively answer my question.
Thank you in adavnce!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(on the stock TR3650). Engine has forged internals, been rebuilt, etc so there are no problems there
I should also mention that I installed a 31 spline aluminum driveshaft recently. The clutch is currently a stage 2, Exedy 400 racing clutch (which will most likely have to go when I do all the drivetrain work)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have heard very good things about the T-56 Magnum from the guys on SVTP that have gone to that trans with high HP. I have 740 at the wheels with a T-56 that was rebuilt by Liberty Transmission in Michigan. I had them install a 26 spline input and install better forks, sincros, etc. I don't go to the track much, but it was not the problem the two time I have gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aren’t there some websites out there where you can send in your current trans to have it upgraded to crazy specs. Or better yet sites our there that already sell mildly upgraded T-56’s?

Thanks for the help so far man!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Liberty's Gear and D&D have excellent reputations. They sell parts, rebuild, and sell entire transmission (stock, upgraded, Magnum). I sent mine out to Liberty from PA on a pallet and it came back a month later with the upgrades desired. They were on top of things as the rebuild progressed and informed me of other issues and decisions as they went along.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the help to the both of you!
Would you guys recommend I pursue having my TR3650 rebuilt and upgraded to save money or would it be worth while buying a new race trans all together?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
How interested are you in the automatic option? You are already set up for a manual but you did mention an auto as a possibility.
When my car was making 700 with turbos and a manual it was a lot of fun but I didn't like the power delay between shifts but I didn't even attempt power shifting with that much power. So I went with a 4R70 and a Quick4 controller and with this setup there is no power falling off so the car is smoother. It may be more work to swap but it may be a cheaper option in the long run... no clutches to worry about, missing shifts and hurting parts, etc.. There was some great deals on some built 4R70's a while ago.. Not to mention there are other autos that could be cheaper to swap in, too.

ks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Would you guys recommend I pursue having my TR3650 rebuilt and upgraded to save money or would it be worth while buying a new race trans all together?
I would call one of the providers and discuss it with them. They have seen all of these transmissions abused in all sorts of ways. They would have a very good handle on what can handle what and provide help in sorting out your best option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick, I think that's what I'm going to end up having to do. I wanted to avoid that because I feel as if most all companies are going to want to persuade me to "buy new" and buy their transmission as opposed to rebuilding my TR3650. But it can't hurt to at least call all of them and kind of get an overall consensus on what different providers recommend or think

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How interested are you in the automatic option? You are already set up for a manual but you did mention an auto as a possibility.
When my car was making 700 with turbos and a manual it was a lot of fun but I didn't like the power delay between shifts but I didn't even attempt power shifting with that much power. So I went with a 4R70 and a Quick4 controller and with this setup there is no power falling off so the car is smoother. It may be more work to swap but it may be a cheaper option in the long run... no clutches to worry about, missing shifts and hurting parts, etc.. There was some great deals on some built 4R70's a while ago.. Not to mention there are other autos that could be cheaper to swap in, too.

ks
Kevin, I'm open to the idea of going auto but I love driving a manual. The plan is to keep this car as my summer daily driver and I love driving a manual on a daily basis. But I know with making 700hp, the way to go for racing would be automatic. Idk, I'm really torn on the idea

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Kevin, I'm open to the idea of going auto but I love driving a manual. The plan is to keep this car as my summer daily driver and I love driving a manual on a daily basis. But I know with making 700hp, the way to go for racing would be automatic. Idk, I'm really torn on the idea
Keep the manual then it will be the quickest route for what you want. I grew up with manuals and loved them on those cars but the older I got the more I simply wanted to have a damn fast street car that I can simply put in D and drive around town without the bothersome shifting all the time.

ks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts