Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions/experiences on traction issues relating to rear gear ratio. For instance, if a car running a 28" slick is having traction issues while running a 4.10 gear, which way on gear would improve traction, going lower to 4.56 or higher to 3.73. I know there are a ton of other variables that can affect traction, right now I'm interested in this particular issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
going to the .56 will give you more starting line mechanical advantage, where as the .73 will give you more wheel speed. Either could be detrimental, depending on how much power you're making.

A way to control traction is though tune up.. IE taking power away on launch and bring it back in. Where the gear ratio is set for ideal shift recovery, and trap rpm, but you are able to control power while leaving the line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
going to the .56 will give you more starting line mechanical advantage, where as the .73 will give you more wheel speed. Either could be detrimental, depending on how much power you're making.
I've got 3.73's and am making 532hp and 600 ft-lbs tourqe. It's driven on the street mostly but when trying to hook up, it spins like a mother f-er though 2nd. Thought about going to 4.10's but I'm already turning 3 grand at 70mph and I burn enough gas as it is. Is this just a catch 22? Will I have to turn higher rpm's on the street to hook up better with 4.10 gears?

The other, more realistic alternative is to redo the suspention which I should do anyway. I need better springs in the rear and an air bag. Yea, I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts