Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
As I'm finally getting to one my New Years Resolutions, I have a Questions.
I took the rear cover to inspect the gears and t-Loc and this is what I found.

This is for an 88 8.8 fox rear that will be replacing my 7.5 in my 84.

Ring Gear Back lash : .012
Axle shaft end play : .025 each side
Torque to make T-Loc slip about 20-25 Ft Lbs. (Out of Spec's according to ford)
Spyder gears look good.

I guess I need to rebuild the T-Loc and wanted to know what you guys set your break away torque to...or what you ended up with or..is it just a crap shoot?

It also seems getting the Spyder gears in is a PITA..Hmm and I'm getting real confused the the clutch stacking order as everybody and the net use's a different order:confused:

MFE : I've read as many posts as I could find, but found nothing about my above question, and you seem to rebuild yours every night..:)

Any help or advice or new info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well, for me.....being a non-SCCA 20 time champion, I just use the alternate disc stacking procedure and get it as tight as I can and still be able to get the spiders and S-pring back in(using extra friction discs when possible).

I seem to get 5-7,000 miles of GREAT use, and the remaining 3 or 5,000 are near stock levels of grip. Let it be known, that when I use my car it's for autocross and tracking...so if you're just a casual driver your results may be better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2K2Gt,
This car is a toy thats used for Auto-X...Maybe 5 events a year and a little Cruising.Didn't even put 700 miles on it last year !

Scott

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Are you sure you only have .025 endplay? 25 thousandths? Or was it 0.25, a 1/4 of an inch? Because that's the kind of endplay I'd expect with so little breakaway torque, which is an imperfect measurement, but still. Did you have the calipers off the rotors when you measured the endplay?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Save your old friction discs.
I use the alternate stack, but at least on mine, there's no way I can cram in all-new discs.
And I agree, screw the measuring part. As long as the gears will get back in (helps to have the wife turn the axle while your hold 'em in place), it's worked fine for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Morning everyone,
MFE,
The rear is out and on a test stand. I did all measurements using a Dial indicator.
The end play was measured after I pulled the axles to remove the Drum brake backing plates (as I will be converting to disc), I then reinstalled the Axles,c-clips etc. I used two different Torque wrenchs, a "Click type" and a Beam type. I locked one axle up with a bar bolted to it and wedged it to the floor and made an adapter for the other axle flange to use the torque wrench on. I did it like it showed in the Factory Manual.

As I am a machinist :)....yes the axle end play was .025. I was really quite suprised to find the brake away torque to be so low :confused: I even used a a hand wrench and I could make it slip..

Thanks for everyones input...I need more Coffee,

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts