Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 years ago, I was an active autocrosser and corner-carving enthusiast who was lucky enough to have a client who was a sponsor of Bondurant, and to handle their advertising, which got me trips to Derek Daly, Skip Barber, Bridgestone Winter Driving School and others. The client treated me to the full-on 4-day Bondurant experience, which I was able to follow up a few months later with a compressed 2-day school, and the hook was set. I thought to myself "man, would it ever be cool to have my own car out here".

Fast-forward through about 6000 miles of track driving on 10 tracks, and I still have the same '92 Mustang 5.0 I had then. Only now, I live 15 minutes from Bondurant's facility, and a local club ran a once-in-a-lifetime event there this weekend that combines one of Firebird's 3 track layouts with Bondurant's dedicated layout, I finally got to rock their track in my car like I wanted to back then. It was a BLAST.

It was my first time running with the Pro Autosports organization so I was in their new-member/beginner group with only one passing zone. But because it was also the smallest run group, and most of the people in it were at least moderately experienced, I just stayed in it all day.

Here we see some kind of turbo Nissan, 300Z type thing that was faster than me in a straight line, but nowhere near as fast in the corners. So after I've caught up and ridden him for a lap, we came onto the main straight, the only passing zone, and what's he do? Mashes the gas like a yellow corvette driver instead of pointing me by. So I spent the next lap "giving him the business". He got the point, and I got the point-by. :D

Then I spent several laps running down a 99 Cobra, but the dang card filled up on my camera before I finished the job.

Anyway I tried a new camera location, and it turned out pretty cool. Mounted to the rear quarter glass just over my left shoulder.

YouTube - Firebird Mondo 9-25-10.wmv

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Did the increased toe out reduce the mid corner understeer? It only looked like you had to fight the wheel a little bit to get the car down to the apex.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mashes the gas like a yellow corvette driver instead of pointing me by. So I spent the next lap "giving him the business". He got the point, and I got the point-by. :D
(in my best Freudian voice) Sooooooo...Mr MFE..... tell us about this yellow corvette driver you seem to have issues with..... :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the increased toe out reduce the mid corner understeer? It only looked like you had to fight the wheel a little bit to get the car down to the apex.
It seems to have worked. I'll know more for sure when I get it back to Firebird West in a couple months for an apples-to-apples comparison, but I never get the sense that people were driving away from me in some corners like before :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Have you thought about the 2-valve TFS heads? ...they're supposed to be pretty good (if you believe the magazines, that is) :confused:
I am now building a high compression engine with these heads. I am hoping they live up to the hype. At a minimum the aluminum block I'm using will save 70lbs off the front end.

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts
I am now building a high compression engine with these heads. I am hoping they live up to the hype. At a minimum the aluminum block I'm using will save 70lbs off the front end.
Are you in fort walton now?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I really don't wanna put any money into the modular engine platform. They're great in stock form, but I feel just a waste when shooting for anything respectable/usable for N/A.

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts
Forgot to ask what kind of camera and mount did you use?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a GoPro Wide (not the newer HD) and their suction-cup mount

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I really don't wanna put any money into the modular engine platform. They're great in stock form, but I feel just a waste when shooting for anything respectable/usable for N/A.
Just out of pure curiosity, what would that number be? The lack of N/A potential in the 2v is what drove me to Corvettes many years ago. I am back in a Mustang purely for costs and potential track racing. It just happens that trickflow was releasing new heads. With the specific combo I am building, I am hoping these heads will open the horsepower potential by a large margin.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think I paid close to that to get over 300 about 8 years ago. But I had to buy heads/intake etc. I did my own porting and labor. Some guys are getting that (or close to) with bolt ons and cams on PI engines. Rough numbers should have it fall under 1500 for everything including bolt ons. 5.0 is definitely cheaper if you have to build up, but I think the cost gets close once you add up the other aftermarket items you need to complete the swap. Power potential is certainly better. None of these options are an easy thing to approach budget wise.

·
USAF retired
9,121 Posts
Have been for the last 7 years.
Maybe I've got you confused with someone else that was in Tampa-Defuniak and then somewhere else again within a year or so span. Do you ever go out to Holt?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts