Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. And if you say reducer, what size?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I run an electric pump - I ran a reducer (about 5/8"), but don't think I run anything at all now (been a while since I pulled the thermostat housing).

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
why even bother???

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
A reducer can make sense with a mechanical water pump under certain circumstances (rpm usually). With an electric pump, it is not needed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you’re saying no Tstat or reducer? What kind of temps you see at the end of a run?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
we push up and back from the lanes but we have never seen over around 150 even during the summer months. we dont run anything just a big electric pump

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I like to leave around 145, and it'll generally get to 170 by the time I'm on the return road. Highest I've seen in traffic, and keep in mind this is the DC area during the summer so it's hot and we have some of the worst traffic in the country, is 210*. That's rare however, typically it won't go over 185. The 212 was stuck in traffic for an hour, barely moving, in 90+ degree heat.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I leave at 160-165*. The temp does not change during the run, but climbs while slowing down and on the return road. I drive my car to and from the lanes and sometimes the return trip can be long depending on where I am pitted. Even then, I see a high of 180-185*. Get into the pits, shut the engine off, keep the fan and water pump running and in less than 5 min. the engine is below 130*. By the time of the next run, the temp gauge is not registering when I fire it up to go to the lanes. Running E-85, I prefer the engine water temp be at least be 160* when at the starting line.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So one of my concerns about running a Tstat is when using the elec pump in the pits to cool down, when the Tstat starts to close, it will cut off circulation and defeat the whole purpose. True? A restrictor (or nothing) would obviously not have that affect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts